Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Clive Clive is offline

Default How do I use mailmerge to produce a table list from my datasource? - like a tabular report

I want to use use Word 2003 to produce nicely formatted lists of
information.

It used to work in older versions of word that you could create a template
with the required fields in the line of a table and the mailmerge process
created a result with as many rows that could fit on a page - with the rest
of the data spilling onto subsequent pages. However now, with Word 2003, it
puts a page break after each line of data, resulting in a page for each row
in the datasource - very wasteful of paper..

I've tried using the next record field in a table cell at the end of the
row in the template file, but this makes no difference.

Any help much appreciated!

Many thanks

Clive, London UK

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

This facility hasn't really changed in Word 2003, but the names and other
user interface stuff have changed.

At the moment, you are probably doing a "Form Letter" merge, which starts
processing each record on a new page. What you need is a "Directory" merge,
which you should be able to select in "Step 1" of the Mail Merge Wizard task
pane. it's the same as the old "Catalog" merge in Word 2000 and earlier. If
you are doing a lot of merges you will probably find it useful to enable the
MailMerge toolbar (e.g. using Tools|Customize), but it doesn't work quite
like the old one. But with the toolbar enabled, click the leftmost button
and choose the directory option. Then you should not need those Next
record fields.

Peter Jamieson

"Clive" wrote in message
I want to use use Word 2003 to produce nicely formatted lists of
information.

It used to work in older versions of word that you could create a template
with the required fields in the line of a table and the mailmerge process
created a result with as many rows that could fit on a page - with the
rest of the data spilling onto subsequent pages. However now, with Word
2003, it puts a page break after each line of data, resulting in a page
for each row in the datasource - very wasteful of paper..

I've tried using the next record field in a table cell at the end of
the row in the template file, but this makes no difference.

Any help much appreciated!

Many thanks

Clive, London UK

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Clive Clive is offline

Many Thanks Peter

I'm actually doing the mailmerge programatically and the information you
gave me has enabled me to resolve the issue.

Thanks for your time.

Kind Regards

Clive

"Clive" wrote in message
I want to use use Word 2003 to produce nicely formatted lists of
information.

It used to work in older versions of word that you could create a
template with the required fields in the line of a table and the
mailmerge process created a result with as many rows that could fit on a
page - with the rest of the data spilling onto subsequent pages. However
now, with Word 2003, it puts a page break after each line of data,
resulting in a page for each row in the datasource - very wasteful of
paper..

I've tried using the next record field in a table cell at the end of
the row in the template file, but this makes no difference.

Any help much appreciated!

Many thanks

Clive, London UK

Table styles, new in 2007 Chris Orr Tables 1 February 6th 07 12:53 PM
Data sources for different mailmerge letters Lee Mailmerge 11 January 27th 07 08:04 AM
Losing textbox on table Jack Tables 13 November 21st 06 03:09 AM
How to use mailmerge feature to generate report? (i.e. SQL statem will~ Mailmerge 1 April 11th 06 09:25 AM
Table of contents like list for a numbered list of items Ben K. Bullock New Users 2 March 2nd 06 12:52 PM