Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kaye Kaye is offline

Default How do I unprotect a form because I forgot the password?

I have a form that was used for testing staff in Security. The staff that
created the form is now gone, I have forgotten the password and can't open,
save, edit, insert...etc. Is there a management tool that will allow you to
open the file and reset the password?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

See Graham's website http://www.gmayor.com/Remove_Password.htm for the
procedure to use.

Give us a shout if you still have troubles.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.
"Kaye" wrote in message
I have a form that was used for testing staff in Security. The staff that
created the form is now gone, I have forgotten the password and can't
open,
save, edit, insert...etc. Is there a management tool that will allow you
open the file and reset the password?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

See http://www.gmayor.com/Remove_Password.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Kaye wrote:
I have a form that was used for testing staff in Security. The staff
that created the form is now gone, I have forgotten the password and
can't open, save, edit, insert...etc. Is there a management tool
that will allow you to open the file and reset the password?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JustSomeGuy JustSomeGuy is offline

Jay, it might help if your destination link could be updated for Office 2007
users. The Ctrl-Shift-F11 keystroke combo does nothing in Word 2007 as far as
I can see.

Kaye wrote:
I have a form that was used for testing staff in Security. The staff
that created the form is now gone, I have forgotten the password and
can't open, save, edit, insert...etc. Is there a management tool
that will allow you to open the file and reset the password?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The keystroke is Alt+Shift+F11, but you're correct that it does nothing in
Word 2007. That's because the Script Editor is no longer included with
Office.

However, there's an easier way to get around that kind of password: Open a
new blank document, and use the Insert Object Text From File command to
insert the protected form document. You'll now have a copy of the form that
is unprotected and has no password.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

See http://www.gmayor.com/Remove_Password.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Kaye wrote:
I have a form that was used for testing staff in Security. The
staff that created the form is now gone, I have forgotten the
password and can't open, save, edit, insert...etc. Is there a
management tool that will allow you to open the file and reset the
password?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The 'easier' way does not offer the possibility of restoring the unknown
original password and there can be issues with layout attributable to
differences in the template used to create the new document where this was
not used to create the form; however I have updated the page to reflect this
alternative. http://www.gmayor.com/Remove_Password.htm#Alternative

Kaye wrote:
I have a form that was used for testing staff in Security. The
staff that created the form is now gone, I have forgotten the
password and can't open, save, edit, insert...etc. Is there a
management tool that will allow you to open the file and reset the
password?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi Graham,

I agree with your point about possible changes in layout.

On the issue of restoring the original password, it's my impression that many of
the people asking about it here don't want any password, but the form was locked
by someone else who is no longer available.

The updated page is perfect!

Kaye wrote:
I have a form that was used for testing staff in Security. The
staff that created the form is now gone, I have forgotten the
password and can't open, save, edit, insert...etc. Is there a
management tool that will allow you to open the file and reset the
password?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I'm glad you approve

I agree about the password, but I felt that the script editor method was
preferable as a first option, where available, as this retains the layout of
the form without the need to juggle with templates. Unfortunately 2007 now
makes that inevitable.

Kaye wrote:
I have a form that was used for testing staff in Security. The
staff that created the form is now gone, I have forgotten the
password and can't open, save, edit, insert...etc. Is there a
management tool that will allow you to open the file and reset
the password?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lauren250 Lauren250 is offline

This doesn't seem to work any longer. When I try these methods in Word 2007
or Word 2003 for a document that was created/protected in Word 2007 it still
prompts me for the password. Is there another workaround or am I missing
something?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kaye wrote:
I have a form that was used for testing staff in Security. The
staff that created the form is now gone, I have forgotten the
password and can't open, save, edit, insert...etc. Is there a
management tool that will allow you to open the file and reset
the password?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

What exactly are you trying to do? The page primarily concerns documents
*protected for forms* - and with both Word 2003 & Word 2007 the method
described still works.
http://www.gmayor.com/Remove_Password.htm#Alternative.

With documents *protected against opening*, the document is encrypted and
there is no easy back door method.

Kaye wrote:
I have a form that was used for testing staff in Security. The
staff that created the form is now gone, I have forgotten the
password and can't open, save, edit, insert...etc. Is there a
management tool that will allow you to open the file and reset
the password?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lauren250 Lauren250 is offline

Aha. Thats exactly what I was missing, didnt note the difference between
*form* and *opening*. Im trying to open a document created by a former
employee who cannot be reached to obtain the password.

The new restrictions are great for protecting documents but there ought to
be a password hint/reset option.

Kaye wrote:
I have a form that was used for testing staff in Security. The
staff that created the form is now gone, I have forgotten the
password and can't open, save, edit, insert...etc. Is there a
management tool that will allow you to open the file and reset
the password?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you have sufficient time, a PC that you can dedicate to the task to run
around the clock, then there is software available that will locate the
password .... eventually. If the former employee is still alive it might be
quicker to use a private detective to locate him/her

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

See http://www.gmayor.com/Remove_Password.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to
the newsgroup so all may benefit.