Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jo via OfficeKB.com Jo via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default Word / Excel 2000 Mail Merging

I need to create a 15-page Word document to send to 100 individuals. Once
this document has been created I would then like to merge tables and graphs
from Excel. These tables and graphs are member-specific and there will be a
approximately 200 tables and 300 graphs (some individuals will receive a
report that has 3 tables and 1 graph and some individuals will receive a
report that has 4 tables and 3 graphs, etc). Can I achieve this?

If so, what would be the best way to manage the data? Would it be best to
hold each individuals chart / graphs on their own sheet in Excel?

I believe this data is to be inserted on different pages throughout the
report.

I would appreciate any advice regarding the above.

Jo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

That sounds like a pretty ambitious project.

One thing that you should look at is the Mail Merge to a Chart item on
fellow MVP Cindy Meister's website at:

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...faq1.htm#DBPic

Where is the data at the moment?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Jo via OfficeKB.com" u5657@uwe wrote in message news:6e3fabc4799d9@uwe...
I need to create a 15-page Word document to send to 100 individuals. Once
this document has been created I would then like to merge tables and
graphs
from Excel. These tables and graphs are member-specific and there will be
approximately 200 tables and 300 graphs (some individuals will receive a
report that has 3 tables and 1 graph and some individuals will receive a
report that has 4 tables and 3 graphs, etc). Can I achieve this?

If so, what would be the best way to manage the data? Would it be best to
hold each individual's chart / graphs on their own sheet in Excel?

I believe this data is to be inserted on different pages throughout the
report.

I would appreciate any advice regarding the above.

Jo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jo via OfficeKB.com Jo via OfficeKB.com is offline

Thanks for your response.

Well, having read your link I'm still unsure if I'm trying to achieve the
impossible. Way above anything I've ever done before.

The project is still at planning stage, although I have seen samples of the
type of chart / graphs to be merged. It's more a case of trying to find a
starting point and finding the best way forward and if it's achievable.

Do you think the desired result can be achieved?

Jo

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
That sounds like a pretty ambitious project.

One thing that you should look at is the Mail Merge to a Chart item on
fellow MVP Cindy Meister's website at:

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...faq1.htm#DBPic

Where is the data at the moment?

I need to create a 15-page Word document to send to 100 individuals. Once
this document has been created I would then like to merge tables and

[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]

Jo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

It can probably be achieved, but whether it can be done with Mail Merge is a
bit doubtful. More likely a "roll-your-own" type application using Visual
Basic. It depends a bit on data source.

Mail merge can only use a single, flat file as a data source so having an
Excel sheet for each individual is not going to work.

--

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
That sounds like a pretty ambitious project.

One thing that you should look at is the Mail Merge to a Chart item on
fellow MVP Cindy Meister's website at:

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...faq1.htm#DBPic

Where is the data at the moment?

I need to create a 15-page Word document to send to 100 individuals. Once
this document has been created I would then like to merge tables and

[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]

Jo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jo via OfficeKB.com Jo via OfficeKB.com is offline

Again, thanks for your reply. Looks like plenty of cutting and pasting for me
then.

Jo

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
It can probably be achieved, but whether it can be done with Mail Merge is a
bit doubtful. More likely a "roll-your-own" type application using Visual
Basic. It depends a bit on data source.

Mail merge can only use a single, flat file as a data source so having an
Excel sheet for each individual is not going to work.

Thanks for your response.

[quoted text clipped - 24 lines]

Jo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jo via OfficeKB.com Jo via OfficeKB.com is offline

Could you please expand a little more to your response "roll-your-own" type...

We've decided not to put in graphs, but still need to merge all data to the
documents. There are currently 60 fields (all data prepared in Excel) and
each individual (approximately 100 ) is to receive a report showing their
personal information, ie: 60 x 100.

Now we've decided not to put in the graphs is it possible to achieve this
part of the task?

Jo

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
It can probably be achieved, but whether it can be done with Mail Merge is a
bit doubtful. More likely a "roll-your-own" type application using Visual
Basic. It depends a bit on data source.

Mail merge can only use a single, flat file as a data source so having an
Excel sheet for each individual is not going to work.

Thanks for your response.

[quoted text clipped - 24 lines]

Jo

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

To get a better idea of what you need to do, can you send me a copy of what
would be the mail merge main documnet and possibly a "dummy" result
document.

Send it to dkr[at]mvps.org

--

"Jo via OfficeKB.com" u5657@uwe wrote in message news:6ecbb4aa0bc25@uwe...
Could you please expand a little more to your response "roll-your-own"
type...
..