Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
chasmantt chasmantt is offline

Default How do I Round numbers in a Word 2003 Table?

I have a table I inserted into Word 2003 and when I link it to another table
I would like to have the numbers it is importing to be rounded off
Example:
I am trying to put the numbers in '000s; therefore a number such as
$456,000,250, I want to show up as $456,000.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I hope that when you say you "link to another table" you mean the use of a
REF field to repeat the content of a bookmark or form field.

If that's the case, then what you need is called a "numeric picture (\#)
field switch", and there's a Help topic with that title that will explain
this a bit more.

The picture switch determines which digits of the field result will appear,
and you can specify one that doesn't include any decimal places. It will
automatically round up or down appropriately.

To get the second number to show how many thousands there are in the first
number, you need to enclose the REF field in a formula field that divides
the first number by 1000. Then you add the picture switch to suppress the
decimal places.

Step by step:

- Type the field code of the REF field, using the correct name of the
bookmark containing the first number:

REF firstnum

- Select that code and press Ctrl+F9 to make it into a field -- you'll see
bold curly brackets, which are not the same as the kind you type on the
keyboard.

{REF firstnum}

- Type the formula around this field to divide by 1000:

= {REF firstnum} / 1000

- Type the picture switch at the end of the line:

= {REF firstnum} / 1000 \# $#,##0

- Select the whole thing and press Ctrl+F9 to make it into a field, to get

{ = {REF firstnum} / 1000 \# $#,##0 }

- Press F9 to update the field.

--
Regards,