Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire Joe McGuire is offline

Default Linked Style Sheets

What is a "linked style sheet"? I saved something "printer-friendly" from a
web page in html, then opened and edited it in Word--and modified the styles
to suit my tastes. When I saved the file I got this message: Linked style
sheets are only supported in web format files. By saving to this format [I
supppose this means the Word format] all links to style sheets will be
lost." I clicked "Continue" and there was no problem. But every time I
save this document I get the same message--a minor annoyance, considering I
have no idea what it means and why it makes any difference to me. I
understand linking or cascading style sheets might have some web usefulness.
But for 'ordinary" Word documents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Joe

Joe McGuire wrote:
What is a "linked style sheet"? I saved something "printer-friendly" from a
web page in html, then opened and edited it in Word--and modified the styles
to suit my tastes. When I saved the file I got this message: Linked style
sheets are only supported in web format files. By saving to this format [I
supppose this means the Word format] all links to style sheets will be
lost." I clicked "Continue" and there was no problem. But every time I
save this document I get the same message--a minor annoyance, considering I
have no idea what it means and why it makes any difference to me. I
understand linking or cascading style sheets might have some web usefulness.
But for 'ordinary" Word documents?

Versions of Word?

I would also reckon that Word is triggering you with this message
because the file you downloaded contains links to a CSS. [I fail to see
why it brings it up every time, but hey, we're talking about Word ... :-)]

I would try a round-trip save of the document. Use XML if you have Word
2003 Professional, or RTF else.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire Joe McGuire is offline

Thanks. Word 2003 (Office Pro) Probably an artifact from the original web
page I downloaded. The problem seems to have disappeared.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote in message
Hello Joe