Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Eric Eric is offline

Default docvariables carriage return formatting

I have asked this elsewhere without a response so try my luck here

Dependant on an attached userform selection and associated vba code I use a
carriage return (vbcr or chr(13)) in docvariables to build a sucession of
paragraphs. Each docvariables have a condition according to its value. When
true the value is to appear and when false nothing is to appear including
spaces and line feeds.

sample
{IF{DOCVARIABLE Para1} = "??" "" {DOCVARIABLE Para1}}{IF {DOCVARIABLE
Para2} = "??" "" {DOCVARIABLE Para2}}{IF{DOCVARIABLE Para3} = "??" ""
{DOCVARIABLE Para3}}{IF {DOCVARIABLE Para4} = "??" "" {DOCVARIABLE Para4}}

Para1.value = "text" & vbcr or "??". "??" being a default value, alternate
to the error generated by an empty string

At this point it all works fine.

Now if I apply bullets and numbering to this and the carriage return in the
docvariables does not continue to apply the formating. Think I understand why
but all my effort have prooved in vain to resolve it, in that each new
paragraph is to be formated.

There is also a requirement for simplicity with the solution as lesser
mortals will be required to carry out basic maintnance in the future.

Has anyone got any thoughts.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Eric Eric is offline

Graham

Yes I have.
I didnt include it in the example that I presented for simplicity reasons.
My feeling is that word is not treating my carriage return as a end of
paragrah.

I think I might have to research autonum and seq. My earlier efforts with
these didnt seem to give me the desired result.

I have to admit the use of these fields is not the norm for me and I am
learning new experiences here.