Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
matthewtec matthewtec is offline

Default Sort via Headers?

Is it possible to have the document be sorted by the headers?

For example, if I have a document with 10 "Heading 3" types separating the
document into sections. Is it possible to somehow have those 10 Headings be
sorted alphabetically, along with the text between them and the next header?

--
remove the "noSpam_" to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hitch Hitch is offline

So, in other words, NO. The article to which you referred him doesn't have
any reference WHATSOEVER to alphabetical sorting of headings, just the normal
verbiage about how "wonderfully easy" it is to move headings with the click
of a button. I've wondered the same thing about automatic sorting myself, in
painfully lengthy legal documents with alphabetized definitions sections
(Level 2 headings) that go on for pages.

If anyone actually KNOWS THE ANSWER to this question, it would be nice to
know.
--
Hitch

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingOLView.htm. Note that these
are headings, not headers.

"matthewtec" wrote in message

Is it possible to have the document be sorted by the headers?

For example, if I have a document with 10 "Heading 3" types separating the
document into sections. Is it possible to somehow have those 10 Headings

be
sorted alphabetically, along with the text between them and the next

header?

--
remove the "noSpam_" to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you display just the headings you want to sort (hide the text under the
headings), you can select the headings and sort them alphabetically. The
associated text will go with them. I did not realize this simple fact was
not included in the article, which I had not reviewed recently.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingOLView.htm. Note that

these
are headings, not headers.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"matthewtec" wrote in message

Is it possible to have the document be sorted by the headers?

For example, if I have a document with 10 "Heading 3" types separating

the
document into sections. Is it possible to somehow have those 10

Headings
be
sorted alphabetically, along with the text between them and the next

header?

--
remove the "noSpam_" to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hitch Hitch is offline

Sorry, Suzanne:

I do not understand to what, precisely, you are referring. Are you simply
restating that by limiting what (outline) level is displayed (e.g., only
Level 1 Headings), it's easy to manually MOVE the particular outline item
up/down into its proper alphabetical order by dragging it - in other words,
by eye and hand? Or are you saying that there is an automatic or automated
sort mechanism that Matthew and I are not seeing, in Word 2003? He and I are
both looking for a method by which one would select a series of headings (and
associated body text content) and then sort alphabetically automatically, not
manually. I already know, as I'm sure he does, that you can easily
drag-n-drop headings and the associated content in Outline view, either
up/down or horizontally, for that matter. Is there an automated method I am
not seeing?

Thanks,
--
Hitch

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingOLView.htm. Note that

these
are headings, not headers.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"matthewtec" wrote in message

Is it possible to have the document be sorted by the headers?

For example, if I have a document with 10 "Heading 3" types separating

the
document into sections. Is it possible to somehow have those 10

Headings
be
sorted alphabetically, along with the text between them and the next
header?

--
remove the "noSpam_" to email me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hitch Hitch is offline

Matthew:

I figured it out. Collapse the outline to the desired level (Level 2 or 3,
whatever). Select the headings you want to sort. Click on "Table" on the
menu bar, "Sort," and then select your options from the Sort options box. I
used "paragraph" and it worked a treat, moving all of the associated body
text with the headings into alphabetical order. (No, I wouldn't have looked
under "table," either, but I was getting desperate, so I tried it on a dummy
practice file and it worked).

You don't HAVE to collapse the outline for this to work, but it makes it
easier.

Hope this helps you,

--
Hitch