Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AV Greene AV Greene is offline

Default Formatting names

Working on a big mail merge. I'm merging several different list and everyone
participating used a different case format - some all upper, some mixed. I
want to standardize them all - which is no problem. How do I get Word (or
Excel) to format the McC/MacC, etc. names correctly without having to do
find/replace work?
--
AV Greene
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

HI AV

AV Greene wrote:
Working on a big mail merge. I'm merging several different list and everyone
participating used a different case format - some all upper, some mixed. I
want to standardize them all - which is no problem. How do I get Word (or
Excel) to format the McC/MacC, etc. names correctly without having to do
find/replace work?

Well, it's certainly recommended that you do all such "formatting" work
in the "database" (your Excel files) prior to the merge.

And I doubt you'll get around the find/replace, unless your data are
structured in a way that you can build up the title/address of a person
through other fields (sex). Usually "bad data" need to be corrected, and
if search/replace in Excel really does your job (even with a couple of
runs), you might be lucky! :-)

HTH
Robert
--