Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire Joe McGuire is offline

Default Using Word in Outlook

I am not sure if this is really a question for the Outlook BB, but since the
MVPs here seem so much better than anywhere else (including, ahem, the
company who produced this "integrated" productivity software--earth to
Redmond, are you listening? I didn't think so.) this was a good place to
start. I have OL 2003 Mail formatting set to Compose in html (the other
alternatives are Rich Text and Plain Text) and to use Word 2003 to edit
e-mail messages. I have a template called E-mail.dot in the Word templates
folder and a Stationery called E-mail.html in the Stationery folder. I have
a collection of Signatures (in html) in the Signature folder.

I can modify the styles in my e-mail messages, such as "Space after" for
paragraphs, heading styles, etc, and can check "Add to Template" to save
these in a template somewhere. But the next time I compose an e-mail
message, the formatting changes I supposedly added are nowhere to be found.
If I had changed spacing after to, say 12pts with the next e-mail message it
is back to zero. Where is the template where this stuff is suppposed to be
saved? What must I do to make these formatting changes "stick?"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It appears that the paragraph style used to create e-mail messages is
whatever the initial style is in Word's normal.dot (by default the normal
style - though I use body text here, which has inter paragraph spacing).
However, the *font* used to create the messages is derived from Outlook
Tools Options Mail Format Fonts (plus any stationery option) which
override the settings on normal.dot. There is apparently nothing to stop you
applying your own styles to your texts.

Personally I find html e-mail a waste of bandwidth. Many users switch off
the ability to display html, preferring the safer text option, and (until
Word 2007 at least) the use of Word as e-mail editor is a bit of a lash-up.
Outlook's own editor is quite adequate to the task of writing e-mails.