Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barbarian Barbarian is offline

Default Multiple files into a master document

I need to merge Word docs. from many departments into one master Word file.
I can insert them as a link so that if the individual docs change the master
updates - no problem. However each doc has it's own format so when they are
inserted they look like crap. How do I link to them and keep the original
format so they don't all have to be redone (yuk)?????
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bear Bear is offline

Barbarian:

Your contributors should, at a minimum, be encouraged to use a common set of
style names. Their articles can then be "unified" by applying the template of
the compound document -- which would also use those style names.

The best case would be for them to use the same template, and to refrain
from changing style definitions or applying manual formatting.

The only provision I know of for automatically retaining individual style
definitions is Word's Master Document feature. You can read about that in the
Help.

Many will caution you against using this feature, but for assembling
documents into a compound document for publication only, it's not too bad.
Just remember to work only with backups of your source documents, as the
Master Document feature may corrupt them.

Bear

Windows XP, Word 2000