Bruce Riley

Default Date in Word 2003

My company writes a lot of press releases. Some of these are dated in
advance. Not all time, but often a user will put in a future date, work on
the press release, save and close the document. When they open the document
back up, it defaults to the current date. Anybody know where the setting to
turn it off is? I checked Insert - Date and Time, and made sure "Update
Automatically" was not checked.

Thank you!
Bruce

If the user is typing a future date manually, there is no way it can update.
If the user is inserting a DATE field and changing it manually, it will
correct itself when fields are updated. The "Update automatically" setting
affects only dates inserted through the Insert | Date and Time dialog; it
does not affect dates inserted with Alt+Shift+D or using the Insert Date
button on the Header and Footer toolbar, both of which insert DATE fields.

Even if users are typing the date manually, there's a good chance they're
getting an AutoComplete tip for the current date and not noticing it. If
they press Enter after receiving the tip, the date will be changed to the
current one, but this will still be plain text, not a field.

"Bruce Riley" Bruce wrote in message
My company writes a lot of press releases. Some of these are dated in
advance. Not all time, but often a user will put in a future date, work on
the press release, save and close the document. When they open the

document
back up, it defaults to the current date. Anybody know where the setting

turn it off is? I checked Insert - Date and Time, and made sure "Update
Automatically" was not checked.

Thank you!
Bruce

Chuck, did you even read this message? Note where Bruce says, "I checked
Insert - Date and Time, and made sure 'Update Automatically' was not
checked."

"Chuck Davis" newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com wrote in message
When you insert date, there is a check box that reads Update

automatically.
Uncheck and retype the "future" date.
"Bruce Riley" Bruce wrote in message
My company writes a lot of press releases. Some of these are dated in
advance. Not all time, but often a user will put in a future date, work

on
the press release, save and close the document. When they open the
document
back up, it defaults to the current date. Anybody know where the setting
turn it off is? I checked Insert - Date and Time, and made sure "Update
Automatically" was not checked.

Thank you!
Bruce

Charles Kenyon

The easiest way to insert a fixed future date is to type it.

See http://addbalance.com/word/datefields1.htm for information on the
different kinds of datefields and how to format them.

--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.
"Bruce Riley" Bruce wrote in message
My company writes a lot of press releases. Some of these are dated in
advance. Not all time, but often a user will put in a future date, work on
the press release, save and close the document. When they open the
document
back up, it defaults to the current date. Anybody know where the setting
turn it off is? I checked Insert - Date and Time, and made sure "Update
Automatically" was not checked.

Thank you!
Bruce

Greg Maxey