Pierre

Default Blank page preceding new section on ODD page

I tried to find the solution in the archives but I couldn't find it.
Apologies if it's already covered.

I have a document with multiple sections.
I have running headers and footers that work fine

I specifed Different ODD and EVEN for each section (except for the front
matter section). The proble is that I end up with a blank EVEN page preceding
new sections WHEN there is no text on that even page. The only workaround I
found is to insert a page break at the end of the text preceding a new
section when the text from the previous section does not spill into the next
even page.

Is there a better way to fix this? I want to create a template with this
document.

Thank you
Jay Freedman

Hi Pierre,

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...nPgEndChap.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Pierre wrote:
I tried to find the solution in the archives but I couldn't find it.
Apologies if it's already covered.

I have a document with multiple sections.
I have running headers and footers that work fine

I specifed Different ODD and EVEN for each section (except for the
front matter section). The proble is that I end up with a blank EVEN
page preceding new sections WHEN there is no text on that even page.
The only workaround I found is to insert a page break at the end of
the text preceding a new section when the text from the previous
section does not spill into the next even page.

Is there a better way to fix this? I want to create a template with
this document.

Thank you

Pierre

Thanks. By blank page, you meant with a running header and footer like the
rest of the document...right?

A blank page in this case is fine but not without running header and footer.

"Pierre" wrote in message
I tried to find the solution in the archives but I couldn't find it.
Apologies if it's already covered.

I have a document with multiple sections.
I have running headers and footers that work fine

I specifed Different ODD and EVEN for each section (except for the front
matter section). The proble is that I end up with a blank EVEN page

preceding
new sections WHEN there is no text on that even page. The only workaround

found is to insert a page break at the end of the text preceding a new
section when the text from the previous section does not spill into the

next
even page.

Is there a better way to fix this? I want to create a template with this
document.

Thank you

Stefan Blom

No, a blank page inserted by an Odd Page or Even Page section break
will have no header and footer. If you do want headers and footers,
you'll have to look into the article Jay Freedman pointed you to.

--
Stefan Blom

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you don't want an Odd Page section start, then change it to New

Page. If
you do want Odd Page (or have given the page an odd number), then

the blank
page is normal and necessary.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Pierre" wrote in message
[...]

Pierre

Yes. I followed the instructions and it worked. But then I was faced with the
problem of having important hidden information (field code) in my document.
The users of the template have to be warned that they have to be careful not
to delete the field codes.

I wrote instructions describing the reason for the field code and why they
mustn't be deleted. I'm still concerned that the users will delete them
accidentally.

In the end, I remove this great solution and simply inserted the necessary
number of page breaks to force the next section to an odd page AND have a
running header and footer on the preceding page. It's not very elegant. But
then neither is having to manually insert ODD section breaks in front of new
sections.

I opted for the simplest solution. I prefer the more elegant one but the
users of the template will almost surely screw it up.

"Pierre" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
JanetP

Hi Jay,

Your answer was so close to fixing my problem. Maybe you can help me out.

My document is 6 pages of text, followed by 5 flowcharts, so I have inserted
an odd page section break before each of them. The text and first 2
flowcharts are on letter-sized paper. The last 3 flowcharts are on 11x17.
When I would print duplex, Word inserted an 11x17 even page before the odd
page break.

I inserted John McGhie's solution before the tabloid sheets, and I cannot
now preview the entire document. When I get to the last of the letter sheets
and hit Page Down, it displays the previous page.

The doc prints OK. I just don't understand what's going on with the
preview. Any ideas?

janet