cturner08

Default Word corrupt table problems

I have a large document that repeatedly, but irregularly, opens with the
message "this error message may be the result of a corrupt table." I've
tried opening with repair and then reformating the problem tables, deleting
the problem tables and pasting replacements in from older versions, and
deleting the problem tables and recreating them from scratch. Any of these
seems to work for several subsequent saves of the document, but then the
error crops up again. Sometimes it's just one table in the document that's a
problem, sometimes it's several. Any ideas of how I can get rid of the
problem permanently?
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Y3R1cm5lcjA4?=,

Which version of Word do you have?

I have a large document that repeatedly, but irregularly, opens with the
message "this error message may be the result of a corrupt table." I've
tried opening with repair and then reformating the problem tables, deleting
the problem tables and pasting replacements in from older versions, and
deleting the problem tables and recreating them from scratch. Any of these
seems to work for several subsequent saves of the document, but then the
error crops up again. Sometimes it's just one table in the document that's a
problem, sometimes it's several. Any ideas of how I can get rid of the
problem permanently?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

cturner08

I'm using Word 2003, on a standalone PC most of the time. The problem also
shows up when I open the document (transported on a zip disk) on a computer
with a newer version of Word.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Y3R1cm5lcjA4?=,

Which version of Word do you have?

I have a large document that repeatedly, but irregularly, opens with the
message "this error message may be the result of a corrupt table." I've
tried opening with repair and then reformating the problem tables, deleting
the problem tables and pasting replacements in from older versions, and
deleting the problem tables and recreating them from scratch. Any of these
seems to work for several subsequent saves of the document, but then the
error crops up again. Sometimes it's just one table in the document that's a
problem, sometimes it's several. Any ideas of how I can get rid of the
problem permanently?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Y3R1cm5lcjA4?=,

I'm using Word 2003, on a standalone PC most of the time. The problem also
shows up when I open the document (transported on a zip disk) on a computer
with a newer version of Word.

Hmmm. Word 2003 is the newest version of Word available... Which "newer
version of Word" do you mean?

Anyway, if you have Word 2003 try saving the document as XML. Close and
re-open. With any luck, that will shake out some of the "gunk".

You also have to consider the possibility that copying the file to the Zip
drive could be damaging it. Word files are notoriously fragile; saving them
across an unstable network connection, or sending them via email without
zipping them, first, is a known cause for structural problems.