Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gracefuldear Gracefuldear is offline

Default Does anyone know how to find two tenths as a fraction symbol?

Hi does anyone know how to use microsoft word to insert mathematical symbols
for fractions that are not already on word? I need to insert one fifth and
two tenths for some coursework I need to do.

I would appreciate a response as soon as is possible.

Regards
S Clement
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

See:
http://www.gmayor.com/createfraction.htm
or
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...teFraction.htm

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Gracefuldear" wrote:

Hi does anyone know how to use microsoft word to insert mathematical symbols
for fractions that are not already on word? I need to insert one fifth and
two tenths for some coursework I need to do.

I would appreciate a response as soon as is possible.

Regards
S Clement

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
James James is offline

Try using superscript for the first integer and subscript for the second. Not
exactly the same but near acceptable.

"Gracefuldear" wrote:

Hi does anyone know how to use microsoft word to insert mathematical symbols
for fractions that are not already on word? I need to insert one fifth and
two tenths for some coursework I need to do.

I would appreciate a response as soon as is possible.

Regards
S Clement

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have a font that provides Unicode "number forms", such as Arial
Unicode MS, then there's a character for 1/5 at character code 8205 (hex
2155) However, I don't think you will find a Unicode symbol for 2/10 :-)

There are a couple of things you can do, but I think the simplest is
probably as follows, again assuming you have Arial Unicode MS or another
font that supports the necessary symbols

Type the digit 2, select it, and format it as Arial Unicode MS.

Click Insert|Symbol, select font Arial Unicode MS, select Subset General
Punctuation, then select the "FRACTION SLASH" character (Unicode hex 2044)
and insert it.

Type 10 and ensure it is also formatted as Arial Unicode MS.

You should now have 2/10

Select the "2", and use Format|Font to set its size to 6pt, and
Format|Font|Character Position|Raised by 4pt. You may find it looks better
formatted as Bold as well.

Select the "10" and use Format|Font to set its size to 6pt, and perhaps
format as Bold.

This should look pretty much like the 1/5 symbol at 12pt.

To reuse your 2/10, select it and use Insert|Autotext to create an autotext
that you can easily re-insert.

If you need to have a 2/10 at a different point size, make a new copy and
modify the character sizes and subscripting until it works OK.

Peter Jamieson

"Gracefuldear" wrote in message
Hi does anyone know how to use microsoft word to insert mathematical
symbols
for fractions that are not already on word? I need to insert one fifth
and
two tenths for some coursework I need to do.

I would appreciate a response as soon as is possible.

Regards
S Clement

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

FWIW, I can't see the point of making up a fraction for 2/10 when (a) it's
the same as 1/5 and (b) it's easily represented by 0.2 (as is 1/5).

A few thoughts...
a. imagine you're teaching fractions to a class that doesn't know that 1/5
= 2/10 (or it's a test)
b. you're just using a fractional format to present some information in
that "round number" way that advertisers seem to favour, e.g. "2 out of
every 10 MVPs prefer FractoFormatFlakes for breakfast". Can't imagine they'd
do it as 2/10 though.
c. you're obsessed by fractions of 10 and you don't care who knows...

Peter Jamieson

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
FWIW, I can't see the point of making up a fraction for 2/10 when (a) it's
the same as 1/5 and (b) it's easily represented by 0.2 (as is 1/5).

so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'll accept (a) at least. g

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
If you have a font that provides Unicode "number forms", such as Arial
Unicode MS, then there's a character for 1/5 at character code 8205

(hex
2155) However, I don't think you will find a Unicode symbol for 2/10

:-)

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

:-)

I was always struck by a simple task set by my english/drama teacher about
40 years ago - how many uses can you think of for a brick? I think the
"techies" among us probably thought of about 10, max, whereas the more
imaginatively inclined just carried on writing tens, scores, hundreds...

I expect there are people who could turn "2/10" into a multi-season TV show
rivalling "24"...

Best regards,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Freeman Dan Freeman is offline

I rather enjoyed (c). g

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I'll accept (a) at least. g

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I didn't say that I didn't enjoy it. g

"Dan Freeman" wrote in message
I rather enjoyed (c). g

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I'll accept (a) at least. g

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Brick v. Paperclip!
Brick v. Paperclip!
Brick v. Paperclip!

Sorry, Sone, Paper and Scissors - you'll just have to sit this one out...

PJ

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gracefuldear Gracefuldear is offline

Thank you.. I'm not obsessed by fractions just have to produce a 'cheatsheet
for some children'! Thanks to everyone that have input their ideas.
Regards
Sue

I'll accept (a) at least. g