Bill

Default Numbered Lists, multiple paragraphs

I'm trying to have multiple paragraphs within a single
numbered list item. I tried to simply insert a column break
when I wanted to start another paragraph within a list
item, but what I get is another numbered item.

For example:

1. Paragraph blah blah blah...............
blah blah.

Second paragraph under item 1........

Third paragraph under item 1...........

2. First paragraph of item 2, etc.

The answer has to be staring me right in the face,
but so far my brain hasn't clicked.

Thanks,
Bill

Bill

I got more curious as to why the "text wrap" option
under insert break was disabled. Come to find out
that the document that was sent to me for overhaul
was created at a level prior to Word 2K. As soon
as I stored the document at 2K the option became
enabled, which enabled me to create a macro that
will insert two consecutive text-wraps when multiple
paragraphs are required within a numbered item.

Is there a "better" way to do that?

Thanks,
Bill

"Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm trying to have multiple paragraphs within a single
numbered list item. I tried to simply insert a column break
when I wanted to start another paragraph within a list
item, but what I get is another numbered item.

For example:

1. Paragraph blah blah blah...............
blah blah.

Second paragraph under item 1........

Third paragraph under item 1...........

2. First paragraph of item 2, etc.

The answer has to be staring me right in the face,
but so far my brain hasn't clicked.

Thanks,
Bill

A text wrapping break is not what you want, anyway. A line break would
suffice. But a much better way to handle this is to use the List Continue
style that corresponds to the outline level of the numbered item. If you
have modified the indents of the numbered styles, you'll need to modify the
indent of the List Continue style as well, but this can be done through
Format Paragraph.

"Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
I got more curious as to why the "text wrap" option
under insert break was disabled. Come to find out
that the document that was sent to me for overhaul
was created at a level prior to Word 2K. As soon
as I stored the document at 2K the option became
enabled, which enabled me to create a macro that
will insert two consecutive text-wraps when multiple
paragraphs are required within a numbered item.

Is there a "better" way to do that?

Thanks,
Bill

"Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm trying to have multiple paragraphs within a single
numbered list item. I tried to simply insert a column break
when I wanted to start another paragraph within a list
item, but what I get is another numbered item.

For example:

1. Paragraph blah blah blah...............
blah blah.

Second paragraph under item 1........

Third paragraph under item 1...........

2. First paragraph of item 2, etc.

The answer has to be staring me right in the face,
but so far my brain hasn't clicked.

Thanks,
Bill

Bill

Suzanne,

Two items in reply.

1. I don't have a "line break" in my insert options, only
page, column and text wrap. The latter has always
behaved like a line-break, so I took it to mean that.

2. I've about lost my mind here today trying to learn
how to move from one level to another in nested
numbered lists. I can find no place in the HELP text
that shows me how to do that. For example. If I have
a structure that looks like:

1 blah blah blah................

2 blah blah blah................

A) blah blah blah................

B) blah blah blah................

A paragraph blah blah blah................ that isn't part
of any list, but I want to make it a continuation of
the outer-most list, "item 3" like this:

3 A paragraph blah blah blah................

How do I select it and then navigate to where it
becomes item 3, rather than next item C) in
the inner-most list?

Thanks,
Bill

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
A text wrapping break is not what you want, anyway. A line break would
suffice. But a much better way to handle this is to use the List Continue
style that corresponds to the outline level of the numbered item. If you
have modified the indents of the numbered styles, you'll need to modify
the
indent of the List Continue style as well, but this can be done through
Format Paragraph.

so
all may benefit.

"Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
I got more curious as to why the "text wrap" option
under insert break was disabled. Come to find out
that the document that was sent to me for overhaul
was created at a level prior to Word 2K. As soon
as I stored the document at 2K the option became
enabled, which enabled me to create a macro that
will insert two consecutive text-wraps when multiple
paragraphs are required within a numbered item.

Is there a "better" way to do that?

Thanks,
Bill

"Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm trying to have multiple paragraphs within a single
numbered list item. I tried to simply insert a column break
when I wanted to start another paragraph within a list
item, but what I get is another numbered item.

For example:

1. Paragraph blah blah blah...............
blah blah.

Second paragraph under item 1........

Third paragraph under item 1...........

2. First paragraph of item 2, etc.

The answer has to be staring me right in the face,
but so far my brain hasn't clicked.

Thanks,
Bill

Bill

FINALLY, I got "Increase/Decrease Indent" to work
as intended. I was able to move "up & down" in the
list levels.

I might have become entangled in the difference
between simple lists and "outlined numbered lists",
I really don't know. My Off2K glossary has never
worked, so some of the definitions I need to grasp
the concepts is greatly hampered by that fact.
(I've re-installed several times, but to no avail.)

If you have a definition of "outlined numbered lists"
handy, would you include that in your post.

Thanks,
Bill
"Bill" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

"Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
I got more curious as to why the "text wrap" option
under insert break was disabled. Come to find out
that the document that was sent to me for overhaul
was created at a level prior to Word 2K. As soon
as I stored the document at 2K the option became
enabled, which enabled me to create a macro that
will insert two consecutive text-wraps when multiple
paragraphs are required within a numbered item.

Is there a "better" way to do that?

Thanks,
Bill

"Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm trying to have multiple paragraphs within a single
numbered list item. I tried to simply insert a column break
when I wanted to start another paragraph within a list
item, but what I get is another numbered item.

For example:

1. Paragraph blah blah blah...............
blah blah.

Second paragraph under item 1........

Third paragraph under item 1...........

2. First paragraph of item 2, etc.

The answer has to be staring me right in the face,
but so far my brain hasn't clicked.

Thanks,
Bill

Insert a line break using Shift+Enter.

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
I got more curious as to why the "text wrap" option
under insert break was disabled. Come to find out
that the document that was sent to me for overhaul
was created at a level prior to Word 2K. As soon
as I stored the document at 2K the option became
enabled, which enabled me to create a macro that
will insert two consecutive text-wraps when multiple
paragraphs are required within a numbered item.

Is there a "better" way to do that?

Thanks,
Bill

"Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm trying to have multiple paragraphs within a single
numbered list item. I tried to simply insert a column break
when I wanted to start another paragraph within a list
item, but what I get is another numbered item.

For example:

1. Paragraph blah blah blah...............
blah blah.

Second paragraph under item 1........

Third paragraph under item 1...........

2. First paragraph of item 2, etc.

The answer has to be staring me right in the face,
but so far my brain hasn't clicked.

Thanks,
Bill

See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. You can
use Tab and Shift+Tab to demote/promote if you have "Tabs and backspace set
left indent" checked on the Edit tab of Tools | Options. And you can always
use Alt+Shift+Right/Left Arrow.

ink.net...

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

"Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
I got more curious as to why the "text wrap" option
under insert break was disabled. Come to find out
that the document that was sent to me for overhaul
was created at a level prior to Word 2K. As soon
as I stored the document at 2K the option became
enabled, which enabled me to create a macro that
will insert two consecutive text-wraps when multiple
paragraphs are required within a numbered item.

Is there a "better" way to do that?

Thanks,
Bill

"Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm trying to have multiple paragraphs within a single
numbered list item. I tried to simply insert a column break
when I wanted to start another paragraph within a list
item, but what I get is another numbered item.

For example:

1. Paragraph blah blah blah...............
blah blah.

Second paragraph under item 1........

Third paragraph under item 1...........

2. First paragraph of item 2, etc.

The answer has to be staring me right in the face,
but so far my brain hasn't clicked.

Thanks,
Bill

Bill

Great! Thanks for your help.

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

"Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
I got more curious as to why the "text wrap" option
under insert break was disabled. Come to find out
that the document that was sent to me for overhaul
was created at a level prior to Word 2K. As soon
as I stored the document at 2K the option became
enabled, which enabled me to create a macro that
will insert two consecutive text-wraps when multiple
paragraphs are required within a numbered item.

Is there a "better" way to do that?

Thanks,
Bill

ink.net...