Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Proposal Manager Proposal Manager is offline

Default Action Captions

I need a sentence to appear directly after a figure number and caption on the
same line, a so-called "action caption," i.e.,

Figure 3-1. Very Large Machine. (caption) This very large machine works very
well for companies of all sizes in all types of environmental conditions.
(action caption)

However, when I try this, the whole sentence becomes part of the caption and
even gets copied into the TOC.

Is there a way to add a sentence after the caption so it appears on the
page, but remains separate from the caption?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Proposal Manager[_2_] Proposal Manager[_2_] is offline

Well, I guess this problem isn't of sufficient interest to merit any kind of
response from the MS Word experts out there. I find this interesting, because
there must be thousands of people like myself who need to create this type of
caption.

Interestingly, I have a book called the Microsoft Word 2000 Bible, which
uses similar types of captions for its figures, but doesn't tell you how to
create them. Go figure.

Perhaps there's a real simple explanation that I'm missing, but I don't
think so...In fact, a Google search on this revealed that someone actually
had to develop a macro to get Word to perform this action. Not surprisingly,
it was a proposal professional:

See article titled "Formatting Action Captions"

http://www.shipleylimited.com/BidDoctor2.htm

Unfortunately, even after running the macro, the entire action caption still
appears in the TOC, which I really dont like. The only way around this that
I can determine is to manually delete the €śaction€ť portion of the listing in
the TOC prior to publication, which is a pain, but it works--not unlike so
many other things in MS Word.

So, for whats it worth, Im talking to myself here just in case another
proposal person searches the key words €śaction caption€ť looking for some
resolution to this problem.

Anyway, thanks for help.

Hey, no problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Since you didn't quote your original post, I'm not sure what you were
looking for, but perhaps you can get some ideas from
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/RunInSidehead.htm.

"Proposal Manager" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Proposal Manager[_2_] Proposal Manager[_2_] is offline

Hi, Suzanne. Thanks for responding. The orginial post is included below,
sorry I didn't quote it--thought you could see it when viewing the thread on
the discussion board.

In any event, the article you provided is very interesting and contains some
good information for what it addresses. However, I think it will take
considerable tinkering to determine if it can work on captions and then work
out how they subsequently appear in the TOC. Unfortunately, I don't have that
kind of time right now. When I do get time to experiment, at least I'll have
something to start with.

Thanks again for your help.

Original post:

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That's pretty much what I imagined you were trying to do. The secret is to
insert as the caption (in Caption style) only the part you want to appear in
the Table of Figures. Then type the rest as a separate paragraph in a
different style with the same formatting. Then select the paragraph mark at
the end of the caption and format it as Hidden. You can accomplish the same
thing in recent versions of Word using a Style Separator.

"Proposal Manager" wrote in
message ...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Since you didn't quote your original post, I'm not sure what you were
looking for, but perhaps you can get some ideas from
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/RunInSidehead.htm.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Proposal Manager" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Proposal Manager[_2_] Proposal Manager[_2_] is offline

Suzanne,

The Style Separator trick works perfectly! I just insert the Style Separator
between the caption and the action caption. It separates the two and does not
carry the whole thing into the TOC, just the figure number and the caption.
Exactly what I needed and less trouble than the macro.

Thanks so much,

Proposal Manager