Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Geoplay Geoplay is offline

Default How to set Options for all Word Documents measurements to 'inches'

Every time I want to make a new Word document, it shows the measurement in
'centimeters' - horrible spelling - how can I set the default measurement to
'inches'?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Change the unit of measurement in Tools | Options, General tab. If this
doesn't work, also see http://www.gmayor.com/Character_Units.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Geoplay" wrote in message
Every time I want to make a new Word document, it shows the

measurement in
'centimeters' - horrible spelling - how can I set the default

measurement to
'inches'?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Geoplay Geoplay is offline

Sorry, neither helped; gmajor only sets option for current new document, not
any new document. I wish to have the Tools Option to show 'inches' always,
for any document. His tip does not apply to 'English'

"Geoplay" wrote in message
Every time I want to make a new Word document, it shows the

measurement in
'centimeters' - horrible spelling - how can I set the default

measurement to
'inches'?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The unit of measurement is an application setting, so it should display
correctly for any document (existing or new). Perhaps you need to delete
the Data key of the registry. See the "Deleting and recreating the
corrupt registry values" section of the article at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/missingmenusetc.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Geoplay" wrote in message
Every time I want to make a new Word document, it shows the

measurement in
'centimeters' - horrible spelling - how can I set the default

measurement to
'inches'?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

Perhaps you could try this setting "measurement" in your Normal.dot that
might assist.

Go to Tools Options General tab and change:
Measurement Units: Inches
THEN go to SAVE tab and
Check box "Prompt to Save Normal Template"

This means a change has been made Normal.dot and on close from Word you be
prompted to Save Normal.dot? Say "YES" if you don't the setting "inches"
will not be default.
You should then see all your tab settings in Inches not Points.

Next time you open Word Application go to Tools Options Save Tab and uncheck
"Prompt to Save Normal Template"

Hope this helps.

"Geoplay" wrote in message
Every time I want to make a new Word document, it shows the measurement in
'centimeters' - horrible spelling - how can I set the default measurement
'inches'?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Indeed, it is a good idea to check the "Prompt to save Normal template"
option; actually, you should keep it checked, since this helps you stay
in control. For example, you will notice if (potentially dangerous) code
is trying to save changes to normal.dot.

But the above setting is not relevant for changing the unit of
measurement, since the latter, as I've already stated elsewhere in this
thread, is application-wide (stored in the registry).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Geoplay" wrote in message
Every time I want to make a new Word document, it shows the

measurement in
'centimeters' - horrible spelling - how can I set the default

measurement
'inches'?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

fyi I do leave it checked but if I'd said "leave it checked" it would be
"how do you stop it asking to update Normal.dot"on exit from Word?

"Geoplay" wrote in message
Every time I want to make a new Word document, it shows the

measurement in
'centimeters' - horrible spelling - how can I set the default

measurement
'inches'?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Indeed.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
That would be answered in “Word prompts me to save changes to the

Normal.dot
template”

newsgroup so
all may benefit.