Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Irish Lady Irish Lady is offline

Default Can I limit the size of a form field so as not to overflow?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can limit the number of characters permitted in a text form field, but
this won't prevent users from pressing Enter to start a new line/paragraph.
To curtail the height of the form field, put it in a table cell (it can be
borderless) with an exact row height. This won't keep users from entering
more text than will fit, but most of them will get the message when their
text starts to disappear.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Irish Lady Irish Lady is offline

Sorry for the duplication -- first time posting --

I can't seem to get the character limit setting to work - no matter what # I
enter, it still allows me to continue typing.

If I do the exact row height option, won't the pagination change even though
the text is "hidden?"

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can limit the number of characters permitted in a text form field, but
this won't prevent users from pressing Enter to start a new line/paragraph.
To curtail the height of the form field, put it in a table cell (it can be
borderless) with an exact row height. This won't keep users from entering
more text than will fit, but most of them will get the message when their
text starts to disappear.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I can't seem to get the character limit setting to work - no matter what #
enter, it still allows me to continue typing.

Even after you've protected the form?

If I do the exact row height option, won't the pagination change even

though
the text is "hidden?"

No, the pagination will not change. The excess text may be visible in Normal
view but not in Print Layout view or Print Preview and will not print.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can limit the number of characters permitted in a text form field,

but
this won't prevent users from pressing Enter to start a new

line/paragraph.
To curtail the height of the form field, put it in a table cell (it can

be
borderless) with an exact row height. This won't keep users from

entering
more text than will fit, but most of them will get the message when

their
text starts to disappear.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.