Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nicole Nicole is offline

Default Can't find saved document

I was working on an essay at school, and uploaded it on the internet so I
could work on it when I got home. I uploaded it to my computer at home to
work on it. When I uploaded it, I had two options:
Open or Save
I chose open. As I was working I saved multiple times throughout the
process. When I went to work on it again this morning, I couldn't find it!
Does anybody know where it would have saved it?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It would have been saved in a temp folder, where there may be some remote
chance of finding it again. If it's still on your File menu, you may be able
to open it.

Or here's another trick to try. Find another message with an attachment (a
different one) and Open the attachment, then choose File | Save As, and note
the folder where Word proposes to save the file. You'll probably have to go
Up One Level several times to get the complete path (which will something
like C:\Documents and Settings\ProfileName\Local Settings\Temporary
Internet Files), and you'll see that there are multiple subfolders; you may
have to explore all of these to find your file.

More efficient, probably, would be to use Windows Search (making sure you're
including hidden files and folders) to search for either the filename or
some unique text string in the document.

But the overwhelming likelihood is that you have lost the document, which is
why we don't advice working on files opened directly from attachments. It's
okay (aside from risk of macro viruses) to open a document if you just want
to read and/or print it, but if you are going to be editing it, always,
always save it first.

"Nicole" wrote in message
I was working on an essay at school, and uploaded it on the internet so I
could work on it when I got home. I uploaded it to my computer at home to
work on it. When I uploaded it, I had two options:
Open or Save
I chose open. As I was working I saved multiple times throughout the
process. When I went to work on it again this morning, I couldn't find it!
Does anybody know where it would have saved it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Karen Hunter Karen Hunter is offline

When I lose something on my computer, I go to start -- search and look for
it there. Sometimes things get saved to strange places.
--
Karen Hunter

"Nicole" wrote:

I was working on an essay at school, and uploaded it on the internet so I
could work on it when I got home. I uploaded it to my computer at home to
work on it. When I uploaded it, I had two options:
Open or Save
I chose open. As I was working I saved multiple times throughout the
process. When I went to work on it again this morning, I couldn't find it!
Does anybody know where it would have saved it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If the file was an Outlook attachment, and you said Yes in Outlook to saving
changes to the message, then reopen the message, right-click the attachment,
and save it to a non-temporary location. Chances are excellent that your
changes are intact.

If that doesn't get you the file... it was probably saved into a temp
folder. It might still be there, it might not. These folders and files in
them can be hard to locate, depending on which version of Windows you're
using.

Here, when opening a file in Vista (it was an Outlook attachment), using
Word 2007, the opened file is stored in
C:\Users\Herb\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temp orary Internet
Files\Content.Outlook\XOY7T0KJ. I have over a dozen different folders in
Content.Outlook with names similar to XOY7T0KJ. The files in that folder
tree (Temporary Internet Files) are all hidden/system files, and rather
resistent to searching, even when I enable the display of hidden/system
files. If you're using Word 2007 in Vista, look for such a location in
Temporary Internet Files.

When opening a similar attachment in Windows XP, the location is similar,
but the top folder is Documents and Settings instead of Users.

If the file was in an FTP location and accessed using Internet Explorer or
some program other than Outlook, the local temporary location will be
different.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible