Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yarlq Yarlq is offline

Default Word 'Options' are no options at all

Every time I set an 'option' in Word - Do NOT create drawing space, DO NOT
select the entire word, DO NOT glom onto a grid - they work for about 10
minutes and then revert to MicroDictator's pre-determined mandates - which
absolutely do not work for me.

I have ripped out every cc of normal.dot, re-installed Word (and XP about 10
times), saved normal.dot locked and bolted -- to no avail.

Since I have some $600 bucks invested In MicroMyWay just to write a letter,
one might think I should be able to write it any way I want.

Am I missing the obvious (L!nux?) or is there some way to actually choose
and keep options in Word. (And Power Point and etc.)

Help, Please!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You say your settings "work for about 10 minutes." Are you working
continuously in Word during this time, or are you closing Word and
restarting it each time you open or start a document? If the former, then I
am at a loss to suggest a cause.

If the latter, it's possible your options are not being saved. If so, it
could be that there is a damaged Registry key; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm.

If it's not a Registry issue, it could be that an add-in is changing your
settings. It can be very challenging just to identify what add-ins are being
loaded when you start Word, much less which one specifically is causing the
problem, but see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...sInstalled.htm for a
start.

Do note that reinstalling Word/Office will not help because it doesn't
overwrite Normal.dot or the Registry. Renaming Normal.dot will help with
many problems, but not this one, which is almost certainly caused by a
Registry issue or an add-in.

The third (really dire) possibility, if you're on a corporate network, is
that a login script is changing your settings at startup. If that's the
case, you'll have to deal with the company IT people.

,