Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Colada Colada is offline

Default How to delete file path stored in open file?

Hello all,

When I tried to open a file, I saw that the path of the recently opened file
is saved in the open file dialogue box. I have already set the "Show this
number of Recent Documents" to zero in Word Options. Please help!

Many thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Windows stores all kinds of data about the files you open, some of it in
files, much of it in the registry.

The list in the file open dialog box is stored in the registry at
My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Offi ce\11.0\Common\Open
Find\Microsoft Office Word\Settings\Save As\File Name MRU

and that in the file save-as dialog box at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\C ommon\Open Find\Microsoft
Office Word\Settings\Save As\File Name MRU

Both settings are shown for Word 2003 (Word 11.0)

The setting you have zeroed is for the list at the bottom of the file menu.

Colada wrote:
Hello all,

When I tried to open a file, I saw that the path of the recently
opened file is saved in the open file dialogue box. I have already
set the "Show this number of Recent Documents" to zero in Word
Options. Please help!

Many thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Colada Colada is offline

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the reply. However, is there a simplier way to take care of the
problem? I am not comfortable deleting the registry myself. BTW, I am using
Word 2007.

Colada

Colada wrote:
Hello all,

When I tried to open a file, I saw that the path of the recently
opened file is saved in the open file dialogue box. I have already
set the "Show this number of Recent Documents" to zero in Word
Options. Please help!

Many thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Colada Colada is offline

Is there any other way to take care of the problem without going into the
registry? I am not too familiar with the registry business, so don't want to
mess it up. BTW, I am using word 2007

Colada wrote:
Hello all,

When I tried to open a file, I saw that the path of the recently
opened file is saved in the open file dialogue box. I have already
set the "Show this number of Recent Documents" to zero in Word
Options. Please help!

Many thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Colada Colada is offline

I can't find the path of the registry. Vista and 2007 are so much different
than 2000. Please help.