Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
terence terence is offline

Default Print numbers (identifiers)

I need to identify the print numbers of my documents. In other words, I have
3 pages to be printed 10 times and I need to know in the future what order
these copies were printed.

I don't mind if:
1. each copy of the document has its own identifier or
2. each of the 30 pages (3 pages copied ten times) has its own identifier.

Regards,
Terence

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

Visit this link:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Print_Numbered_Copies.htm
Perhaps it will assist.

"terence" wrote in message
news
I need to identify the print numbers of my documents. In other words, I
have
3 pages to be printed 10 times and I need to know in the future what order
these copies were printed.

I don't mind if:
1. each copy of the document has its own identifier or
2. each of the 30 pages (3 pages copied ten times) has its own identifier.

Regards,
Terence

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
terence terence is offline

I'm sure that link is really useful to someone who already knows the
technical terms and how the basic function operates. The terms and
instructions are a mystery to me. I get part way through and then a couple of
sentences have no meaning whatsoever - just a jumble of meaningless words.

It's almost always the same with technical writing.

Thanks anyway.

"Summer" wrote:

Visit this link:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Print_Numbered_Copies.htm
Perhaps it will assist.

"terence" wrote in message
news
I need to identify the print numbers of my documents. In other words, I
have
3 pages to be printed 10 times and I need to know in the future what order
these copies were printed.

I don't mind if:
1. each copy of the document has its own identifier or
2. each of the 30 pages (3 pages copied ten times) has its own identifier.

Regards,
Terence

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The macro code is provided to do what you want. There is a link to
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm which shows you exactly how to
apply the macro code to Word. The instructions on Greg's web page itself
say:

"Here is a microsoft Word macro that you can run whenever you want to print
sequentially numbered copies of your document. Just position your cursor
where you want the sequential number to appear, run the macro, and follow
the prompts."

I don't see how it could be easier unless you expect one of us to come
around and do it for you?

"Summer" wrote:

Visit this link:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Print_Numbered_Copies.htm
Perhaps it will assist.

"terence" wrote in message
news
I need to identify the print numbers of my documents. In other
words, I have
3 pages to be printed 10 times and I need to know in the future
what order these copies were printed.

I don't mind if:
1. each copy of the document has its own identifier or
2. each of the 30 pages (3 pages copied ten times) has its own
identifier.

Regards,
Terence

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

It is really not that difficult. It is a macro.

1. Open the document you wish to print with this macro.

2. Copy the macro from "Option Explicit..." to "End Sub" so you can paste it
(I've inserted it below)

3. Press ALT F11

4. On left pane you should see Normal - click on the plus sign to expand
"Normal"

5. Click on "Insert Module" from Menu (at top of screen) a Module will
insert with a blank screen on right

6. Press CTRL V to paste your macro. Note if "Option Explicit" is already
at top of screen macro you don't need it twice it would be an error - so
delete the extra one if it is already there.

7. Press ALT F11

8. Put document on screen you want to do this to - if you want the "numbers"
in the footer put your cursor in the footer - if you want it in the header
put your cursor in the header. If you want it at top of page locate cursor
at top left of page.

9. Press ALT F8 cursor down to Module1 "PrintNumberedCopies" or whatever

10.The macro will ask you if this the point you want "numbers" to appear say
"Yes" (after moving to header or footer or top of page etc.

11. Do you want to save changes to the document (this number can be saved)
if not - say "No" else "Yes" if you want the number for printing marked on
document to be saved on document.

10. Answer "1" for starting number (some people might start numbering at 10)
just put 1

11 Answer "3" for 3 copies you need printed of same document.

12. Are you sure you want to print 3 numbered copies of this document?
"Yes"

The macro will invoke printing.

Hope this helps.

Option Explicit

'This macro was adapted from code posted by Doug Robbins in the MVP
'Sequentially numbering multiple copies of single document using a
macro

Sub PrintNumberedCopies()
Dim NumCopies As String
Dim StartNum As String
Dim Counter As Long
Dim oRng As Range

If MsgBox("The copy number will appear at the insertion point." _
& " Is the cursor at the correct position?", _
vbYesNo, "Placement") = vbNo Then End
If ActiveDocument.Saved = False Then
If MsgBox("Do you want to save any changes before" & _
" printing?", vbYesNoCancel, "Save document?") _
= vbYes Then
ActiveDocument.Save
End If
End If
StartNum = Val(InputBox("Enter the starting number.", _
"Starting Number", 1))
NumCopies = Val(InputBox("Enter the number of copies that" & _
" you want to print", "Copies", 1))
ActiveDocument.Bookmarks.Add Name:="CopyNum", Range:=Selection.Range
Set oRng = ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("CopyNum").Range
Counter = 0
If MsgBox("Are you sure that you want to print " _
& NumCopies & " numbered " & " copies of this document", _
vbYesNoCancel, "On your mark, get set ...?") = vbYes Then
While Counter NumCopies
oRng.Delete
oRng.Text = StartNum
ActiveDocument.PrintOut
StartNum = StartNum + 1
Counter = Counter + 1
Wend
End If
End Sub

This macro was adapted from code posted by Doug Robbins in the MVP FAQ
Sequentially numbering multiple copies of single document using a
macro

"Summer" wrote:

Visit this link:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Print_Numbered_Copies.htm