Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Big Dave Big Dave is offline

Default Putting frames into content controls forces extra paragraphs. Help

I'm a developer setting up a project that will build documents by assembling
building blocks that contain various 'stuff'. I'm wrapping all the stuff in
content controls so it can be identified later - Bookmarks aren't 'safe'
enough and don't provide enough control (protection, events, etc.).

My problem is this: if I put a floating object like a logo in a content
control, the paragraph to which it is anchored becomes part of the CC - for
frames, two paragraphs become part of the control. Because of this, every
floating component I add would add one or two paragraph marks Does anyone
know a way to avoid this 'effect'?

Currently, I am looking at having to put all my floating objects into one
content control and trying to hide the additional paragraphs in amongst the
body of the page they are on - far from ideal.

Thanks for any advice!

--
Big Dave
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?QmlnIERhdmU=?=,

My problem is this: if I put a floating object like a logo in a content
control, the paragraph to which it is anchored becomes part of the CC - for
frames, two paragraphs become part of the control. Because of this, every
floating component I add would add one or two paragraph marks Does anyone
know a way to avoid this 'effect'?

Exactly how are you putting the frames (and floating objects) into the content
control? A frame definitely requires a paragraph to which it anchors... But
multiple anchors can be attached to a single paragraph mark.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Big Dave Big Dave is offline

Default Putting frames into content controls forces extra paragraphs.

It is actually quite tricky to get a frame in there. If you create a textbox,
convert to a frame, select the frame and then press the button to insert a
content control, it puts the content control _inside_ the frame. If you
create the frame, select the paragraph to which it is anchored and press the
CC button, it puts a CC in _before_ the paragraph, but still not around the
frame. The only way I can find of doing it is to select the paragraph before
the anchor _and_ the anchored paragraph and insert a CC, hence the two
paragraph marks.

Then, of course, it becomes worse. I want to record multiple frames - all
in CCs - in building blocks and paste them into a document. Every time I do
this, two more paragraphs are inserts, of course, although multiple frames
can be anchored to one point normally, even when they are recorded in a
building block (Quick Part).

When you insert the recorded normal frame quick part, it puts the frame in
and anchors to the current paragrph. Do it again, and the subsequent frame
anchor to the same paragraph. Try that with the CC surrounded frames recorded
in quick parts and you get two carriage returns as well each time.

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks!

--
Big Dave

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?QmlnIERhdmU=?=,

My problem is this: if I put a floating object like a logo in a content
control, the paragraph to which it is anchored becomes part of the CC - for
frames, two paragraphs become part of the control. Because of this, every
floating component I add would add one or two paragraph marks Does anyone
know a way to avoid this 'effect'?

Exactly how are you putting the frames (and floating objects) into the content
control? A frame definitely requires a paragraph to which it anchors... But
multiple anchors can be attached to a single paragraph mark.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the detailed account. I see what you mean, and I think I can explain
what you're seeing. But I don't think there's any simple way around the
problem...

Frames are old technology, dating back to the very early days of Word. They've
been around long before the existing textboxes and other graphics stuff, which
has gone through two or three major changes and isn't "native" to Word like
frames are. At a certain point (Word 2002 as I recall), the Word dev team was
faced with a problem about how objects are anchored and the information stored
in Word's binary file format. At that time, for some reason, some of the
information for frames (and tables) started getting stored in more than one
paragraph mark. Some kind of "overrun". Suddenly, moving the paragraph with the
anchor didn't necessarily take the anchor with it; the anchor appear next to one
paragraph, but the link is actually with the preceding one. A real PITA (I was
working with a book template at the time that had call-outs in frames).

I first thought you could perhaps format the one paragraph mark as "hidden", or
as a StyleSeparator. But I notice that in this situation the paragraph won't
"collapse". Then I thought I could use a font size of 1 pt and set the line
spacing to exactly 1 pt. However (and this substantiates the thesis that the
link is to the first paragraph, while the anchor is to the second) this also
affects the formatting of the first paragraph in the frame.

Hmmmm. Would it help you to use the GROUP option? Don't try to put the frames
into single content controls. Insert them "straight", containing a content
control if you need access to the text content of the frame. Then select the
whole document (or a section of it) and use the Group command (this effectively
puts all the selection into one "super" content control that the user can't
see). You can then lock the group control so that the user can work only in
content controls and can't touch anything outside them (including the frames).

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Big Dave Big Dave is offline

It's not easy to get the floating objects, in this case frames, into a CC.

I found that if you insert a frame into a document, select the frame then
insert a CC, the CC goes _inside_ the frame.
If you select the paragraph the frame is attached to and insert a CC, the CC
goes in _before_ the paragraph and ouside the frame.
I have only found one way, and that is to select the paragraph before the
anchor and the paragraph the anchor is on and insert the CC. This works, but
when you then 'record' the CC into a Quick Part building block for later
insertion, of course those two paragraphs come with it everytime.

When you insert a frame, select it and record it into a building block, you
can insert that BB as many times as you like and they will all anchor to the
same paragraph.

So, I guess I need a way to apply a CC to the frame without needing to
include the two surrounding paragraphs.

Would love you if you had any ideas to help!

Thanks!

--
Big Dave

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?QmlnIERhdmU=?=,

My problem is this: if I put a floating object like a logo in a content
control, the paragraph to which it is anchored becomes part of the CC - for
frames, two paragraphs become part of the control. Because of this, every
floating component I add would add one or two paragraph marks Does anyone
know a way to avoid this 'effect'?

Exactly how are you putting the frames (and floating objects) into the content
control? A frame definitely requires a paragraph to which it anchors... But
multiple anchors can be attached to a single paragraph mark.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Big Dave Big Dave is offline

Sorry if there are multiple posts - there seems to be some problem with my
reply showing, so I've tried a couple of times...

--
Big Dave

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?QmlnIERhdmU=?=,

My problem is this: if I put a floating object like a logo in a content
control, the paragraph to which it is anchored becomes part of the CC - for
frames, two paragraphs become part of the control. Because of this, every
floating component I add would add one or two paragraph marks Does anyone
know a way to avoid this 'effect'?

Exactly how are you putting the frames (and floating objects) into the content
control? A frame definitely requires a paragraph to which it anchors... But
multiple anchors can be attached to a single paragraph mark.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Big Dave Big Dave is offline

Thanks very much for the reply.

It looks like I will have to have a single content control for 'floating
objects' such as frames and, as you suggest, put them in straight so that
they all anchor to one paragraph that shouldn't be too hard to hide.

A shame there isn't a better way, but *shrug* I've worked with Word for long
enough now that I know there will always be work-arounds like this

I believe you helped me out on the query that lead me to using frames - I
would prefer to use a textbox and get away from the 'old tech' frames, but if
you put a textbox in a content control and set it to not be editable (so a
user can't move or resize it) and then put in a CC so the user can put data
inside the textbox and set it to be editable, it still isn't editable

I wonder if it's worth trying to push for these 'features' to be patched?

--
Big Dave UK x

"Cindy M." wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?QmlnIERhdmU=?=,

I believe you helped me out on the query that lead me to using frames - I
would prefer to use a textbox and get away from the 'old tech' frames, but if
you put a textbox in a content control and set it to not be editable (so a
user can't move or resize it) and then put in a CC so the user can put data
inside the textbox and set it to be editable, it still isn't editable

I wonder if it's worth trying to push for these 'features' to be patched?

If you can put together a well-formulated description of the problem(s),
including repro steps PLUS concise arguments as to why the functionality is
required, I can certainly pass it on to the "powers". Since the functionality is
new and destined for expansion, they will certainly look at things. I'd put the
emphasis on what is required as the end-result, rather than saying "fix the old
tech".

Hmmm. An alternate route occurs to me: have you tried using a floating table
(cell) instead of a frame or textbox?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Big Dave Big Dave is offline

Thanks for the reply again

How does one make a table cell 'float'? Table cells have always been inline
only in the past and still seem to be in 2007 - have I missed something new
(or been blind to something that was always there)?

--
Big Dave UK x

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?QmlnIERhdmU=?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Big Dave Big Dave is offline

As for the patch, I've put together some information of our case. Would this
be worth passing on?: -

The background
------------------
My section of ABN AMRO Bank, Advisory IT, produces the system that enables
our research analysts to create equity/industry/strategy/etc. research
reports. We provide hundreds of documents per day on which hundreds of
clients globally make investment decisions.
The structure and content and corporate look-and-feel trim of documents in
the current system is built from autotexts. A combination of bookmarks and
format is used to tag areas where automation of filling of data and moving
around of structure is needed. Some areas a part-protected where users need
to do manual content entry, but into formatting that mustn't change.
On small function of the system is the automation of margin comments. We
provide a VBA function that, when triggered by the user, puts a corporate
formatted floating frame into the right margin of the page, sometimes
inserting a pre-formatted table or picture placeholder, sometimes just a text
"Put your text here" thing.
Even this simple sounding piece of functionality leads to quite an overhead
for editors, though. Because the users must be free to edit the contents of
the comment frame, they must be in unprotected sections, and so are prone to
being moved or resized 'accidentally' and, so, editors have to go through
every document and check and possibly correct the location and size of the
comments.
We are now producing a new version of the system and are using Word 2007 as
part of the solution.
A large part of the decision to move to Word 2007 was the vast improvements
in control of the 'locking' of the document - as in the example above, it is
always a chore to give users access to some of the areas of a document, yet
insure areas that must not be changed stay that way.
Content controls seemed, from their specifications, to be the answer to my
prayers - providing both tagging and granular protection in areas where user
input is needed.
Our plan was to encompass all components of the documents with content
controls recorded as building blocks (replacing the current bookmarked
autotexts) and use these readily handleable objects in all uses of automated
building and manipulating of the document.

The problem
--------------
One of them, anyway, is that, nested content controls don't behave too well.
For the margin comment example I need to have a component that I'll express
in XML - I hope that makes it clear what I mean: -

ContentControl title="BuildingBlockSurroundIdentifier"
TextBox name="FloatingTextBoxForMarginComment"
ContentControl title="FieldIdentifierToAidAutomationOfCommentData "
CommentTextType your comment here/CommentText
/ContentControl
/TextBox
/ContentControl

When I try and use the Word GUI to enter and record such a component I find
two problems: -

A) I need the TextBox to be 'locked' so users cannot move or resize it once
the automation has put it in the correct place, but I need the comment data
content control to be 'unlocked' so users can edit the comment text. If I set
the outer CC so its "Contents cannot be edited" and set the inner CC so its
contents _can_ be edited (the Content cannot be edited checkbox unchecked)
the inner CC is still locked for editing. If I do this CC nesting without
the textbox, it works fine.

B) The only way to apply a CC to a floating control is to apply it to the
paragraph mark to which the floating object is anchored - in the case of a
frame, to the paragraph before it also (something to do with the way frames
are linked to the previous paragraph). This means, when I record the
component into a building block and retrieve it somewhere else, I get one or
two paragraphs inserted every time that I don't want. If one records a frame
into a building block without a CC, one can do so without the paragraphs and,
so, recall 10 frames without recalling 20 paragraphs and pushing everything
off the page.

I hope the above is clear enough to express how the combination of A (which
sounds like a bug to me) and B (which is quite nasty unexpected behaviour) is
going to make a lot of our reason for considering Word 2007 as a part of our
new development platform look like a reason not to. My superiors who look at
my assessments are already mumbling about "same old problems" and I can't
blame them - it can sometimes be difficult to see all the improvements when
some areas that are supposed to be fixed or improved are not.

Thanks again Cindy.

--
Big Dave UK x

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?QmlnIERhdmU=?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?QmlnIERhdmU=?=,

How does one make a table cell 'float'? Table cells have always been inline
only in the past and still seem to be in 2007 - have I missed something new
(or been blind to something that was always there)?

MSFT introduced the text wrap capability for tables in version 2002. Put your
mouse over a table, then look at the top left-corner. See the box with the
arrows? You can use that to position the table freely on the page. In the
Table/Layout tab, Table group, click the "Properties" button and look at the
"Table" page. Text wrapping is now "around"; "Positioning" will give you the
standard graphics options.

A quick test at my end looks promising...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?QmlnIERhdmU=?=,

Would this
be worth passing on?: -

If the table cell approach doesn't give you what you need,
yes, definitely.

And sorry my brain took so long to come up with that. For
some odd reason, your saying I suggested frames triggered
that. Comes from interpreting what people ask literally;
sometimes takes a "kick" to get me thinking beyond the
stated problem.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update
Jun 17 2005)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any
follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail
:-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Big Dave Big Dave is offline

Good grief - I have been blind I'll give them a go and see if they solve
my problems.

Thanks!

--
Big Dave UK x

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?QmlnIERhdmU=?=,

How does one make a table cell 'float'? Table cells have always been inline
only in the past and still seem to be in 2007 - have I missed something new
(or been blind to something that was always there)?

MSFT introduced the text wrap capability for tables in version 2002. Put your
mouse over a table, then look at the top left-corner. See the box with the
arrows? You can use that to position the table freely on the page. In the
Table/Layout tab, Table group, click the "Properties" button and look at the
"Table" page. Text wrapping is now "around"; "Positioning" will give you the
standard graphics options.

A quick test at my end looks promising...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Big Dave Big Dave is offline

Gosh, no need to apologise! You here out of the kindness of your heart (my
understanding is you don't get paid for posting here?) - any help is greatly
appreciated!

Well, I've tried the floating cell, and it fixes one problem, but
unfortunately it's the same problem frames fix and then you still get the
frame related problem if you use a single cell, which I would be.

To add a content control around the cell, not within it, you have to include
the paragraph that the cell is linked to. In this case it works slightly
differently to frames, because there seems to be no 'anchor' just the 'link',
i.e. where the flow of text continues from. It's like they dropped the
anchor, even though it's useful to know what paragraph you're linked to,
especially when a possibile positioning parameter is Vertical Position
Relative to Paragraph.
There's some weird behaviour when using arrow keys to move the cursor around
the paragraph the cell is linked to...

It's very annoying and yet another thing that, as far as I am concerned, is
a bug. Why should a one-cell table work differently to a two-cell table?

I may be able to use this as a workaround, though - I could just use
two-cell tables and have one very small cell - I'll play with that and see
what happens.

I shouldn't complain, I guess - it's these kind of things that keep me in a
job - if it worked fine, anyone could develop with Word!

--
Big Dave UK x

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?QmlnIERhdmU=?=,

Would this
be worth passing on?: -

If the table cell approach doesn't give you what you need,
yes, definitely.

And sorry my brain took so long to come up with that. For
some odd reason, your saying I suggested frames triggered
that. Comes from interpreting what people ask literally;
sometimes takes a "kick" to get me thinking beyond the
stated problem.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update
Jun 17 2005)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any
follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail
:-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Big Dave Big Dave is offline

Looking at the WordML, even adding a CC to a multi-cell table doesn't end up
with the CC surrounding the table

w:tbl
w:tblPr.../w:tblPr
w:tblGrid.../w:tblGrid
w:sdt (the CC)
w:tr
w:tc
/w:tc
/w:tr
/w:sdt
/w:tbl

It does behave differently, i.e. if you manually select the CC and 'cut' it,
the whole table disappears, but if you do it via code, when you do a select: -

ActiveDocument.ContentControls(1).Range.Select

(there was only 1 control) it only selects the first cell, not even the two
cells the CC spans. Oh dear, oh dear...

--
Big Dave UK x

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?QmlnIERhdmU=?=,

Would this
be worth passing on?: -

If the table cell approach doesn't give you what you need,
yes, definitely.

And sorry my brain took so long to come up with that. For
some odd reason, your saying I suggested frames triggered
that. Comes from interpreting what people ask literally;
sometimes takes a "kick" to get me thinking beyond the
stated problem.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update
Jun 17 2005)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any
follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail
:-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?QmlnIERhdmU=?=,

my
understanding is you don't get paid for posting here?

Not with money :-) The satisfaction of helping people; the fun of trying to
solve a puzzle. Those kinds of intangibles. Whatever turns you on g

Well, I've tried the floating cell, and it fixes one problem, but
unfortunately it's the same problem frames fix and then you still get the
frame related problem if you use a single cell, which I would be.

That problem being the extra paragraph mark?

there seems to be no 'anchor' just the 'link'

Correct. The "anchor" is invisible (which is too bad)

There's some weird behaviour when using arrow keys to move the cursor around
the paragraph the cell is linked to...

It's very annoying and yet another thing that, as far as I am concerned, is
a bug. Why should a one-cell table work differently to a two-cell table?

Could you supplement the report you showed me with this bit of information,
then email it to me (for email address, see link to my website. Put my name in
front of the @, followed by the companyname.ch. (The email address in the
newsgroup header is a "kill file", I read it maybe once a month or less.)

And can you, in that email, mention whether I can pass your email address on
to "the powers" so that they can contact you directly, if they wish?

FWIW, I doubt much will be done for the current version. But some of this
definitely will be of interest for the next one. Especially since I'd expect
them to be integrating the new graphics engine more completely.

I shouldn't complain, I guess - it's these kind of things that keep me in a
job - if it worked fine, anyone could develop with Word!

Heh. I know the feeling :-)

The only other approach that occurs to me would be to abandon
AutoText/Building Blocks and go with automation/inserting XML directly...