Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Critter Critter is offline

Default Control Buttons in a Template

I have a form called Master.doc. that has been used for months. The form
has several control buttons for printing and was saved as a Template for
others to use and access. I recently made some minor changes to the Master
form. When I again saved the form as a Template, all functions of the
control buttons no longer work when the Template is opened. No matter how or
where I try to save this form as a Template, all control button functions are
lost. All functions of the Master.doc work fine. Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

I may not understand your description correctly.

You say:
When I again saved the form as a Template and, at the same time, you refer
to the Master.doc and when the Template is opened.

When you edited the form, what did you actually do? Did you create a new
document (.doc) based on a template (.dot)? In that case, did you then
afterwards save the .doc as a .dot file?

If that is the case, your macros are found in your original template (the
original .dot file) and not in the new template (the .dot file created by
saving a .doc file as a .dot file). As long as the new .doc file is still
attached to the template (.dot), it has access to the macros in that
template, but when you save the .doc file as a .dot file, the connection to
the original template is gone. However, you can copy the macros from the old
template to the new template (e.g. via the Tools Templates and Add-ins
Organizer).

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"critter" wrote:

I have a form called Master.doc. that has been used for months. The form
has several control buttons for printing and was saved as a Template for
others to use and access. I recently made some minor changes to the Master
form. When I again saved the form as a Template, all functions of the
control buttons no longer work when the Template is opened. No matter how or
where I try to save this form as a Template, all control button functions are
lost. All functions of the Master.doc work fine. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Critter Critter is offline

I created the Template based on the Master.doc. I edited Master.doc and
Saved As a Template.

I did manage to work around this by modifying the old Template: FileOpen,
and searched for the template in Docs & Settings...Application
Data/Microsoft/Templates. Then did a save as.

I still don't quite understand why I cannot make a totally new Template from
an existing document and have all the functions work properly.

"critter" wrote:

I have a form called Master.doc. that has been used for months. The form
has several control buttons for printing and was saved as a Template for
others to use and access. I recently made some minor changes to the Master
form. When I again saved the form as a Template, all functions of the
control buttons no longer work when the Template is opened. No matter how or
where I try to save this form as a Template, all control button functions are
lost. All functions of the Master.doc work fine. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

You may find the following article helpful:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/temp...ons/index.html

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"critter" wrote:

I have a form called Master.doc. that has been used for months. The form
has several control buttons for printing and was saved as a Template for
others to use and access. I recently made some minor changes to the Master
form. When I again saved the form as a Template, all functions of the
control buttons no longer work when the Template is opened. No matter how or
where I try to save this form as a Template, all control button functions are
lost. All functions of the Master.doc work fine. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Another useful article is
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...latesStore.htm. The
important thing to note is that Word behaves different wrt macros, AutoText
and the like depending on whether you create a template to begin with
(choosing Template in the New dialog) or create a document and save it as a
template.