Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Al Al is offline

Default Custom Controls in comments?

I have an XML file that contains keywords that are mapped to custom controls
in a Word 2007 template. Each of the XML data fields has attributes that can
not be displayed directly in the document. There are four attributes for
every keyword and there could be thousands of keywords. It would make the
document very cumbersome and difficult to read.

I need to have the users update these attributes. So, to make things
simpler, I would like to only display the attributes for one of the keywords
at a time.

I tried updating the RibbonX to display the attribute info. But apparently
you cannot update the Ribbon values from a Template. To do so it would
require an Add-In. (Which has its own bag of issues I would rather not deal
with at the moment)

The optimal solution would be one in which I can map a custom control to the
attributes and only display them when the keyword is selected. Would
something like that work with comments/notes?

Any other ideas? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Al

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?QWw=?=,

What do you mean by "custom control"? Do you mean a content control?

It looks like Word will let you place a content control in a comment, although
it appears it needs to contain some text (not just placeholder text) in order
for it to be accessible to the user.

An alternate approach might be to use SmartTags. Possibly a VSTO document-level
customization with document-specific SmartTags.

[...]

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Al Al is offline

Cindy,

Thanks for answering my question! Yes, I meant content controls. I was
just sleepy and used the wrong word... I'll give it a try and report back.

Al

XML and custom controls Al Tables 0 January 17th 07 11:11 PM
Non-printing Controls JustinBailey Microsoft Word Help 2 October 6th 06 06:10 PM
different Image controls? Jeff New Users 3 May 14th 06 01:44 AM
Group controls jody frazier Microsoft Word Help 1 March 20th 06 06:10 PM
ActiveX Controls JeffH13 Microsoft Word Help 1 December 31st 05 03:51 PM