Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wanderer Wanderer is offline

Default How can I add a new symbol to the list?

I'd like to add some math symbols - simple ones, like x-bar and p-hat. I can
back into x-bar, but it's a several step process. Can I save a
character/character combo as a new symbol so I can assign a keyboard shortcut?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Save as an AutoText entry. See also
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Wanderer" wrote in message
I'd like to add some math symbols - simple ones, like x-bar and p-hat.
I can back into x-bar, but it's a several step process. Can I save a
character/character combo as a new symbol so I can assign a keyboard
shortcut?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As Bob says, either AutoText or AutoCorrect would be suitable for your
purposes. The following articles may offer assistance:

What Is Autotext and How Do I Use It?
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/AutoText.htm

Exploiting AutoCorrect
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customization/AutoCorrect.htm

How to create a character with a bar over it
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm

How to superimpose characters
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/C...Characters.htm

"Wanderer" wrote in message
I'd like to add some math symbols - simple ones, like x-bar and p-hat. I

can
back into x-bar, but it's a several step process. Can I save a
character/character combo as a new symbol so I can assign a keyboard

shortcut?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

No, but you _can_ add them as AutoText or AutoCorrect items & call them into
your docs as necessary. Details vary depending on version of Word - have a
look at those 2 topics in Help for your version.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Wanderer" wrote in message
I'd like to add some math symbols - simple ones, like x-bar and p-hat. I
can
back into x-bar, but it's a several step process. Can I save a
character/character combo as a new symbol so I can assign a keyboard
shortcut?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wanderer Wanderer is offline

Hold on. The program won't allow me to format the text to create this - to
make xbar I need to be in symbol, type "`", then back to TNR to slide the x
underneath. Neither autocorrect nor autotext is letting me do this.

Any thoughts?

"Wanderer" wrote:

I'd like to add some math symbols - simple ones, like x-bar and p-hat. I can
back into x-bar, but it's a several step process. Can I save a
character/character combo as a new symbol so I can assign a keyboard shortcut?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wanderer Wanderer is offline

Thanks for the input, but hold on -

It's not letting me format the text in autocorrect or autotext, so I can't
plug xbar into it - to make xbar I need to type one key in Symbol, then
another in TNR. Any thoughts?

"Wanderer" wrote:

I'd like to add some math symbols - simple ones, like x-bar and p-hat. I can
back into x-bar, but it's a several step process. Can I save a
character/character combo as a new symbol so I can assign a keyboard shortcut?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wanderer Wanderer is offline

Perfect. Thanks.

"CyberTaz" wrote:

You're right - you can't create the character while in either dialog. You
need to create the "character" in a _document_ first, then select it in
order to go about adding it as an AutoText/Correct item.
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"Wanderer" wrote:

I'd like to add some math symbols - simple ones, like x-bar and p-hat. I
can
back into x-bar, but it's a several step process. Can I save a
character/character combo as a new symbol so I can assign a keyboard
shortcut?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cdsmitty cdsmitty is offline

Do you think Microsoft will ever get around to just putting it into the
options! I to need exactly what your looking for my Stats. class. This is
ridiculous to have to go through all this trouble.

"Wanderer" wrote:

I'd like to add some math symbols - simple ones, like x-bar and p-hat. I can
back into x-bar, but it's a several step process. Can I save a
character/character combo as a new symbol so I can assign a keyboard shortcut?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can save it as an autotext entry.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Wanderer" wrote:

I'd like to add some math symbols - simple ones, like x-bar and p-hat. I
can
back into x-bar, but it's a several step process. Can I save a
character/character combo as a new symbol so I can assign a keyboard
shortcut?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Microsoft does not control fonts.

You'll find the "combining diacritic" overbar and circumflex in the
Combining Diacritics section of Insert Symbol. Type them after
the ,letter you want to put them on top of. You can assign keyboard
shortcuts in the Insert Symbol panel.