Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jeremy jeremy is offline

Default Can I put endnotes in a separate file

I have a manuscript in which each chapter is a separate document. I want to
keep it this way, but I would like to be able to place all the endnotes in a
single, separate file. I believe the this is possible in WordPerfect, but
Word doesn't have any simple way of doing it. Does anyone know of a trick for
doing it, or a freeware program that might be able to do it?

Thanks,

Jeremy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word does not have a simple way of doing it. In a COPY of the document,
you have to convert the notes to plain text and then copy and paste them
as you wish. Since they are plain text, they will keep the numbering.
HOWEVER, if you have to edit such that the note numbers change, you will
need to go back to the original document, make your edits, and then
*repeat* the "convert to plain text and cut and paste as you wish" process.

You'll need a macro to do the conversion to plain text while keeping the
numbers, and MVP Doug Robbins has already written it. It's linked he
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ed53412c7a560d
or he
http://tinyurl.com/292o3a

It doesn't need modifications.