Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
OfficeNDN[_2_] OfficeNDN[_2_] is offline

Default tab stops missing

I have word 2002.

The tab stop symbol is missing from the far left of the horizontal ruler. I
cannot set tab stops.

What is wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you in Web Layout or Outline view? Either of those would make the tab
tool not show up.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"OfficeNDN" wrote in message
news
I have word 2002.

The tab stop symbol is missing from the far left of the horizontal ruler.
cannot set tab stops.

What is wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"OfficeNDN" wrote in message
news
I have word 2002.

The tab stop symbol is missing from the far left of the horizontal ruler.
cannot set tab stops.

What is wrong?

I changed the view to "Normal" from "Print Layout". Still no tab stops.

Could I have changed the normal template or unchecked a box or something?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If it doesn't show up in Normal or Print Layout view, then it's not a user
settings problem. It might be a registry corruption issue, which can
sometimes prevent screen elements from displaying correctly.

If you start Word with the /a switch (start - run - type winword.exe /a),
does the tab type character show up now?

--

"OfficeNDN" wrote in message
news
I have word 2002.

The tab stop symbol is missing from the far left of the horizontal
ruler.
cannot set tab stops.

What is wrong?

I changed the view to "Normal" from "Print Layout". Still no tab stops.

Could I have changed the normal template or unchecked a box or something?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

If it doesn't show up in Normal or Print Layout view, then it's not a user
settings problem. It might be a registry corruption issue, which can
sometimes prevent screen elements from displaying correctly.

If you start Word with the /a switch (start - run - type winword.exe /a),
does the tab type character show up now?

I ran winword.exe /a but still no tab stops.
--

"OfficeNDN" wrote in message

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

Are you in Web Layout or Outline view? Either of those would make the tab
tool not show up.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"OfficeNDN" wrote in message
news I have word 2002.

The tab stop symbol is missing from the far left of the horizontal
ruler.
cannot set tab stops.

What is wrong?

I changed the view to "Normal" from "Print Layout". Still no tab stops.

Could I have changed the normal template or unchecked a box or something?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The next thing I'd try would be to create a new Windows user profile, to see
if the problem exists for a new user, as well.

I don't remember whether Office 2002 has a "repair" option. If it does, have
you tried [something like] Help - Detect and Repair from Word's Help menu?

--

"OfficeNDN" wrote in message

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

Are you in Web Layout or Outline view? Either of those would make the
tab
tool not show up.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"OfficeNDN" wrote in message
news I have word 2002.

The tab stop symbol is missing from the far left of the horizontal
ruler.
cannot set tab stops.

What is wrong?

I changed the view to "Normal" from "Print Layout". Still no tab
stops.

Could I have changed the normal template or unchecked a box or
something?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"OfficeNDN" wrote in message
news
I have word 2002.

The tab stop symbol is missing from the far left of the horizontal ruler.

cannot set tab stops.

What is wrong?

This is no button there.

This also happens on all user accounts.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Try Help | Detect and Repair.

"OfficeNDN" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Is the button there at all? If so, what happens when you click on it?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"OfficeNDN" wrote in message
news
I have word 2002.

The tab stop symbol is missing from the far left of the horizontal

ruler.
cannot set tab stops.

What is wrong?

This is no button there.

This also happens on all user accounts.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
OfficeNDN[_2_] OfficeNDN[_2_] is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Try Help | Detect and Repair.

"OfficeNDN" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Is the button there at all? If so, what happens when you click on it?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"OfficeNDN" wrote in message
news I have word 2002.

The tab stop symbol is missing from the far left of the horizontal

ruler.
cannot set tab stops.

What is wrong?

This is no button there.

This also happens on all user accounts.

I have done the Help/Detect and Repair but this did not help.

I also did a complete uninstall/reinstall of the word program. I am
beginning to think that it's not word but something on my system.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

See if this article helps:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"OfficeNDN" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Try Help | Detect and Repair.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"OfficeNDN" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Is the button there at all? If so, what happens when you click

on it?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"OfficeNDN" wrote in

message
news I have word 2002.

The tab stop symbol is missing from the far left of the

horizontal
ruler.
cannot set tab stops.

What is wrong?

This is no button there.

This also happens on all user accounts.

I have done the Help/Detect and Repair but this did not help.

I also did a complete uninstall/reinstall of the word program. I am
beginning to think that it's not word but something on my system.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
OfficeNDN[_2_] OfficeNDN[_2_] is offline

I deleted the "Data" and then the "toolbars" in the registry as the article
recommended but I still have the problem.

But upon further investigation I have noticed that when I click on the
button where the tab is supposed to be that I can see a left tab but just
barely. It is only a slightly different shade of gray than the toolbar
background but it's there. But I still cannot insert a tab by clicking on
the ruler. I have to format/tabs and insert one from there.

Also my indentation markers are "grayed-out", they aren't the same color as
they were before this problem started (about a month ago) but I can still
move them around the ruler and they work.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

See if this article helps:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"OfficeNDN" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Try Help | Detect and Repair.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"OfficeNDN" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Is the button there at all? If so, what happens when you click

on it?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"OfficeNDN" wrote in

message
news I have word 2002.

The tab stop symbol is missing from the far left of the

horizontal
ruler.
cannot set tab stops.

What is wrong?

This is no button there.

This also happens on all user accounts.

I have done the Help/Detect and Repair but this did not help.

I also did a complete uninstall/reinstall of the word program. I am
beginning to think that it's not word but something on my system.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't know if this suggestion has already been made... but are you sure
you aren't in web layout view?

If that's not the problem, are tabs otherwise disabled, as well? If you
choose Format - Paragraph, is the Tabs... button alive and well at the
bottom of the Paragraph dialog box?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

news

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

See if this article helps:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"OfficeNDN" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Try Help | Detect and Repair.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"OfficeNDN" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Is the button there at all? If so, what happens when you click

on it?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"OfficeNDN" wrote in

message
news I have word 2002.

The tab stop symbol is missing from the far left of the

horizontal
ruler.
cannot set tab stops.

What is wrong?

This is no button there.

This also happens on all user accounts.

I have done the Help/Detect and Repair but this did not help.

I also did a complete uninstall/reinstall of the word program. I am
beginning to think that it's not word but something on my system.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
OfficeNDN[_2_] OfficeNDN[_2_] is offline

I am in print layout view. I also switched to normal view and the problems
is still there too.

Fomat/Paragraphs and the tab button is still there. I can set a tab using
that method but even then the tab symbol is "grayed-out", it's just a shade
off from the toolbars.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

I don't know if this suggestion has already been made... but are you sure
you aren't in web layout view?

If that's not the problem, are tabs otherwise disabled, as well? If you
choose Format - Paragraph, is the Tabs... button alive and well at the
bottom of the Paragraph dialog box?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

news

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

See if this article helps:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"OfficeNDN" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Try Help | Detect and Repair.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"OfficeNDN" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Is the button there at all? If so, what happens when you click
on it?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"OfficeNDN" wrote in
message
news I have word 2002.

The tab stop symbol is missing from the far left of the
horizontal
ruler.
cannot set tab stops.

What is wrong?

This is no button there.

This also happens on all user accounts.

I have done the Help/Detect and Repair but this did not help.

I also did a complete uninstall/reinstall of the word program. I am
beginning to think that it's not word but something on my system.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If tabs weren't working at all, I would wonder if perhaps formatting
restrictions had been applied (limit formatting to a selection of styles).
Since tabs are working otherwise, that's not the problem.

I don't remember if I suggested this previously, so if I did, please pardon
the repetition. But... have you tried creating a new Windows User, and
seeing if the new user experiences the same problem?

--

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

I don't know if this suggestion has already been made... but are you sure
you aren't in web layout view?

If that's not the problem, are tabs otherwise disabled, as well? If you
choose Format - Paragraph, is the Tabs... button alive and well at the
bottom of the Paragraph dialog box?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

news

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

See if this article helps:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"OfficeNDN" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Try Help | Detect and Repair.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"OfficeNDN" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Is the button there at all? If so, what happens when you click
on it?

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to
the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"OfficeNDN" wrote in
message
news I have word 2002.

The tab stop symbol is missing from the far left of the
horizontal
ruler.
cannot set tab stops.

What is wrong?

This is no button there.

This also happens on all user accounts.

I have done the Help/Detect and Repair but this did not help.

I also did a complete uninstall/reinstall of the word program. I am
beginning to think that it's not word but something on my system.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wally Wombat Wally Wombat is offline

Hi

I have just solved a similar problem in word 2003, where the tab button is
visible but when I clicked on the ruler it does not place a stop there, also
the indent button could not be moved.
I solved this by deleting the normal.dot template and letting word set
another one up.
Sorry if this is butting in, but sometimes off field things work.

Regards to all Wombat

--
Eats, roots and leaves.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

I don't know if this suggestion has already been made... but are you sure
you aren't in web layout view?

If that's not the problem, are tabs otherwise disabled, as well? If you
choose Format - Paragraph, is the Tabs... button alive and well at the
bottom of the Paragraph dialog box?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

news I deleted the "Data" and then the "toolbars" in the registry as the

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

See if this article helps:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"OfficeNDN" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Try Help | Detect and Repair.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"OfficeNDN" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Is the button there at all? If so, what happens when you click
on it?

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to
the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"OfficeNDN" wrote in
message
news I have word 2002.

The tab stop symbol is missing from the far left of the
horizontal
ruler.
cannot set tab stops.

What is wrong?

This is no button there.

This also happens on all user accounts.

I have done the Help/Detect and Repair but this did not help.

I also did a complete uninstall/reinstall of the word program. I am
beginning to think that it's not word but something on my system.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Let's hope this provides a fix. Looking at the back/forth, I'm surprised
nobody said this directly, although the instructions in one of the linked
articles provides that as a possible solution.

Cheers,

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

See if this article helps:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"OfficeNDN" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Try Help | Detect and Repair.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"OfficeNDN" wrote in
message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

MISSING TEXTWhen I email my document - some of the text is missing ls Microsoft Word Help 4 August 11th 09 09:51 PM
sound stops dz New Users 1 December 8th 05 09:42 PM
Tab Stops RedChequer New Users 2 September 25th 05 05:29 AM
TOC -- wrong tab stops Nitzan Shaked Page Layout 2 April 25th 05 07:30 AM
Text Box vs. Tab Stops Barb R. Microsoft Word Help 4 March 24th 05 10:10 PM