Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gabriella777_2 Gabriella777_2 is offline

Default MailMerge and database sort and print question

I have a project where I have been requested to create a mailmerge document
and database. Then he wants it to print only the ones from certain states.
Once I sort the database by state is there a way to call up only those
states for printing or do I have to merge the document and database and pick
and choose which pages to print?
--
Thanks and God bless you and yours,
Gabriella777_2

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?R2FicmllbGxhNzc3XzI=?=,

I have a project where I have been requested to create a mailmerge document
and database. Then he wants it to print only the ones from certain states.
Once I sort the database by state is there a way to call up only those
states for printing or do I have to merge the document and database and pick
and choose which pages to print?

Which version of Word is involved?

Yes, Word does have a way to filter/query the database, but in order to tell
you how to get there we have to know what you're looking at.

And this will depend upon the information being entered uniformly in the
database (IOW not New York, NY and N.Y. mixed in the same field, unless he
wants to specify each).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gabriella777_2 Gabriella777_2 is offline

Can you expand on that?
I'm not sure I follow . . .
I am using Word 2000
--
Thanks and God bless you and yours,
Gabriella777_2

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?R2FicmllbGxhNzc3XzI=?=,

I have a project where I have been requested to create a mailmerge document
and database. Then he wants it to print only the ones from certain states.
Once I sort the database by state is there a way to call up only those
states for printing or do I have to merge the document and database and pick
and choose which pages to print?

Which version of Word is involved?

Yes, Word does have a way to filter/query the database, but in order to tell
you how to get there we have to know what you're looking at.

And this will depend upon the information being entered uniformly in the
database (IOW not New York, NY and N.Y. mixed in the same field, unless he
wants to specify each).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gabriella777_2 Gabriella777_2 is offline

If you reply to this after 4:00 today (june 15 cst), I will not be responding
until monday.
So have a great weekend.
--
Thanks and God bless you and yours,
Gabriella777_2

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?R2FicmllbGxhNzc3XzI=?=,

I have a project where I have been requested to create a mailmerge document
and database. Then he wants it to print only the ones from certain states.
Once I sort the database by state is there a way to call up only those
states for printing or do I have to merge the document and database and pick
and choose which pages to print?

Which version of Word is involved?

Yes, Word does have a way to filter/query the database, but in order to tell
you how to get there we have to know what you're looking at.

And this will depend upon the information being entered uniformly in the
database (IOW not New York, NY and N.Y. mixed in the same field, unless he
wants to specify each).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?R2FicmllbGxhNzc3XzI=?=,

Can you expand on that?
I'm not sure I follow . . .
I am using Word 2000

I have a project where I have been requested to create a mailmerge document
and database. Then he wants it to print only the ones from certain states.
Once I sort the database by state is there a way to call up only those
states for printing or do I have to merge the document and database and pick
and choose which pages to print?

Been a while since I've used Word 2000, so the menu names I use may not be 100%
accurate. But you should be able to find what I describe...

In Word 2000: After you've inserted all the merge fields and are ready to
execute the merge, you want to specify to whom it should go. In order to do
this, you need the Query Options dialog box. You can reach it via two routes:

1. The "Mail Merge Helper" dialog box where you set up the mail merge. Just
display it again, Query Options should be at the bottom, on the right.

2. The "Mail Merge..." Button on the mail merge toolbar brings up a dialog box
where you can set various things. At the right is the Query Options button.

In this dialog box, choose the field that contains the data on which you want
to filter (State, for example). Set the comparison type (Equals). Enter the
criterium (New York).

You can set a total of three criteria. If you use the "And" button between
criteria it means the mail merge will pick up only records that meet all
criteria. If you use "Or" a record must match only one of the criteria to be
included.

So, if the State field might contain NY as well as New York you'd activate the
"Or" button, then set the next row: State Equals NY

Then, records that contain New York as well as those that contain NY in the
State field will be included in the merge result.