Troubled!!

Default Select Highlight text only

Hi,

I am reviewing a 150 point document and am highlighting the key points. I
would like at the end of it to display and print just the highlighted text
component ie, hide the unhighlighted bits.

I have tried to use the autosummarise function, but it doesn't only me to
select a display just highlighted text.

I am using Word 2000, please help or let me know another approach.

Thanks

Eric.
Greg

Eric,

You can use EditReplace to make something work for you.

Save a copy of your document first!!!

For example if you only want to display and print highligthed text and
maintain the spacial relationship between text, you could use the following
method.

EditReplaceMoreUse Wildcards.

Click the FormatHighlight button
Click the FormatHightlight button again.

Below the find what field you should see "not highlight"

Type a * in the find what field

Type a single space in the Replace with field.

Click replace all.

You can use the undo button (or CTRL+z) to restore the changes.

"Troubled!!" wrote:

Hi,

I am reviewing a 150 point document and am highlighting the key points. I
would like at the end of it to display and print just the highlighted text
component ie, hide the unhighlighted bits.

I have tried to use the autosummarise function, but it doesn't only me to
select a display just highlighted text.

I am using Word 2000, please help or let me know another approach.

Thanks

Eric.

I tried this on a very short passage, and the Replace operation took quite a
long time, leaving the highlighted sections followed by hundreds of spaces
extending out beyond the margin. If I instead leave the "Find what" box
blank (no need to use wildcards) and replace with a space, then all the
highlighted text remains, each chunk separated from the next by a space. I
had highlighted single words, but if there are paragraphs highlighted, you
might want to use ^p instead of a space to separate them. I found that that
worked better when I had highlighted paragraphs or parts of paragraphs.

"Troubled!!" wrote:

Hi,

I am reviewing a 150 point document and am highlighting the key points.

would like at the end of it to display and print just the highlighted

text
component ie, hide the unhighlighted bits.

I have tried to use the autosummarise function, but it doesn't only me

select a display just highlighted text.

I am using Word 2000, please help or let me know another approach.

Thanks

Eric.

Greg

Suzanne,

Your sample while "very short" was obviously longer than mine which didn't
include a paragraph mark. My intent with the method I proposed was to
display the highlighted text and maintain the spacial relationship in the
document. I see the error of my ways and a better way to that end would be
to use [!^13] vice * in the find what block. Your method is on the mark for
displaying the highlighted text condensed together.

"Troubled!!" wrote:

Hi,

I am reviewing a 150 point document and am highlighting the key points.

would like at the end of it to display and print just the highlighted

text
component ie, hide the unhighlighted bits.

I have tried to use the autosummarise function, but it doesn't only me

select a display just highlighted text.

I am using Word 2000, please help or let me know another approach.

Thanks

Eric.

My "very short" passage was my lorem ipsum AutoText, which is a little over
a page. Given the amount of time the Replace operation took, I would not
fancy using it on a document of even 20 pages, much less 150!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I tried this on a very short passage, and the Replace operation took

quite a
long time, leaving the highlighted sections followed by hundreds of

spaces
extending out beyond the margin. If I instead leave the "Find what" box
blank (no need to use wildcards) and replace with a space, then all the
highlighted text remains, each chunk separated from the next by a space.

had highlighted single words, but if there are paragraphs highlighted,

you
might want to use ^p instead of a space to separate them. I found that

that
worked better when I had highlighted paragraphs or parts of paragraphs.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Troubled!!" wrote:

Hi,

I am reviewing a 150 point document and am highlighting the key

points.
would like at the end of it to display and print just the

highlighted
text
component ie, hide the unhighlighted bits.

I have tried to use the autosummarise function, but it doesn't only

me
select a display just highlighted text.

I am using Word 2000, please help or let me know another approach.

Thanks

Eric.

Greg Maxey

I concede :-). With 150 pages of dummy text and about 25% of it highlighted
the process took about 3 minutes ;-(

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

"Troubled!!" wrote:

Hi,

I am reviewing a 150 point document and am highlighting the key
points. I would like at the end of it to display and print just
the highlighted text component ie, hide the unhighlighted bits.

I have tried to use the autosummarise function, but it doesn't
only me to select a display just highlighted text.

I am using Word 2000, please help or let me know another approach.

Thanks

Eric.

Troubled!!

Greg/Suzanne,

Thanks for the rapid response, I will try tonight. Btw, 3 minutes is fast
from my perspective.

before I try the hints can you explain what is meant by:

^p and [!^13] ?

sorry to be ignorant.

"Troubled!!" wrote:

Hi,

I am reviewing a 150 point document and am highlighting the key
points. I would like at the end of it to display and print just
the highlighted text component ie, hide the unhighlighted bits.

I have tried to use the autosummarise function, but it doesn't
only me to select a display just highlighted text.

I am using Word 2000, please help or let me know another approach.

Thanks

Eric.

Greg Maxey

Troubled,

^p and [!^13] are just a few of a practically limitless array of codes that
you can use to define your Word searches. ^p and ^13 both represent the
paragraph mark. The ! and [ ] are wildcards. In this case [!^13} means
find everything but a paragraph mark. Here are some links to provide you
with the keys to the kingdom when using Word Find and Replace:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=197855

http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm

Remember, the method I proposed leaves empty space where unhighlighted text
appeared. If your highlighting is sparese you could be left with lots of
white space. Suzanne's adapation is much more practical if all you want is

"Troubled!!" wrote:

Hi,

I am reviewing a 150 point document and am highlighting the key
points. I would like at the end of it to display and print just
the highlighted text component ie, hide the unhighlighted bits.

I have tried to use the autosummarise function, but it doesn't
only me to select a display just highlighted text.

I am using Word 2000, please help or let me know another
approach.

Thanks

Eric.

Graham Mayor

If I can stick my oar in here, the reason Greg's method is slow is that he
is processing each character individually. This can be speeded up
dramatically by not doing that and processing the document as a whole.
Forget the wildcards and the space replacement and in the find what box
enter nothing, but under the 'more' options
Click the FormatHighlight button
Click the FormatHightlight button again
Put the cursor in the replace with box and
Click the Format Font and set font colour to white.
The replace is instantaneous and just the highlighted items are displayed
leaving white space where the text has been 'removed'.
ie here you are not replacing text but text attributes.

wrote in message ...
Troubled,

^p and [!^13] are just a few of a practically limitless array of
codes that you can use to define your Word searches. ^p and ^13
both represent the paragraph mark. The ! and [ ] are wildcards.
In this case [!^13} means find everything but a paragraph mark.
Here are some links to provide you with the keys to the kingdom when
using Word Find and Replace:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=197855

http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm

Remember, the method I proposed leaves empty space where
unhighlighted text appeared. If your highlighting is sparese you
could be left with lots of white space. Suzanne's adapation is much
more practical if all you want is the highlighted text condensed
together.

--

"Troubled!!" wrote:

Hi,

I am reviewing a 150 point document and am highlighting the
key points. I would like at the end of it to display and
print just the highlighted text component ie, hide the
unhighlighted bits.

I have tried to use the autosummarise function, but it doesn't
only me to select a display just highlighted text.

I am using Word 2000, please help or let me know another
approach.

Thanks

Eric.

Troubled!!

All techniques work fantastically!!! :=)))

However, 1 more question if I may:
1- Greg's technique leaves the diagrams on the document and leaves the
structure intact
2- Suzanne's techniques, is fast and takes all the blank spaces away as well
as diagrams in the document

the question, how do I use suzanne's technique but still leave the diagrams
in? note: the diagrams cannot be highlighted. The other option is how do I
use Greg's techniques but get rid of the blank spacings?

The document has alot of diagrams and tables, the tables are fine, they
remain intact.

Thanks

Eric.

"Troubled!!" wrote:

Hi,

I am reviewing a 150 point document and am highlighting the
key points. I would like at the end of it to display and
print just the highlighted text component ie, hide the
unhighlighted bits.

I have tried to use the autosummarise function, but it doesn't
only me to select a display just highlighted text.

I am using Word 2000, please help or let me know another
approach.

Thanks

Eric.

Greg Maxey

Eric,

Sensei Graham's solution is elegant, but doesn't meet your objective of
eliminating the white space.

You might try [!^13^g] in find what with use wildcards checked. This find
everything except paragraph marks and graphics. If your diagrams are
graphics they should be left intact (not sure about your captioning). Again
check format highlight twice to reflect "not highlight" for the find what
field.

--

wrote in message ...
Troubled,

^p and [!^13] are just a few of a practically limitless array of
codes that you can use to define your Word searches. ^p and ^13
both represent the paragraph mark. The ! and [ ] are wildcards.
In this case [!^13} means find everything but a paragraph mark.
Here are some links to provide you with the keys to the kingdom
when using Word Find and Replace:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=197855

http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm

Remember, the method I proposed leaves empty space where
unhighlighted text appeared. If your highlighting is sparese you
could be left with lots of white space. Suzanne's adapation is
much more practical if all you want is the highlighted text
condensed together.

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I tried this on a very short passage, and the Replace
operation took quite a long time, leaving the highlighted
sections
followed by hundreds of spaces extending out beyond the
margin.
If I instead leave the "Find what" box blank (no need to use
wildcards) and
replace with a space, then all the highlighted text remains,
each chunk separated from the next by a space. I had
highlighted single words, but if there are paragraphs
highlighted, you might want to use ^p instead of a space to
separate them. I found that that worked better when I had
highlighted paragraphs or parts of paragraphs.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to
the newsgroup so all may benefit.