SAJ

Default Microsoft Word 2002 default language

How can I permanently set my default language to English (UK). It keeps
switching over to English (US)!!! Please help.
Margaret Aldis

See this article:

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"SAJ" wrote in message
How can I permanently set my default language to English (UK). It keeps
switching over to English (US)!!! Please help.

Sagara

I also have the same problem - Word 2003 just randomly changes from English
(UK) to English (US) - and still does so after going through all the
recommendations listed at
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm

I only notice it when I try and do an AutoCorrect entry and it does not
work, or when spell checking it 'can't spell', the reason being that Word has
switched to English (US). Is there a way I can utterly and completely erase
English (US) from both XP and Word, perhaps using the registry? This is
really winding me up (has been going on for some time).

Thanks,

Robert (tried to start a new thread on this topic, but just get a 'bleep'
and nothing else, but 'reply' works).

"SAJ" wrote in message
How can I permanently set my default language to English (UK). It keeps
switching over to English (US)!!! Please help.

Sagara

Yes, I've unchecked the "Detect language automatically". Every time this has
happened I've also created a new document and pasted the 'problem' doc minus
the last paragraph mark - usually the last word just to make sure - yet it
still keeps happening even though I have not pasted anything into this
document. But how would I check if something I pasted in was going to affect
a change in the default language.

I'm afraid I have also posted this problem as a new query in the past hour!
I found that the reason I couldn'y do a new posting was that I had popups
disabled. I thought no one would probably answer a thread that was a couple
of months old!

Thanks,

Robert

"SAJ" wrote in message
How can I permanently set my default language to English (UK). It

keeps
switching over to English (US)!!! Please help.

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?U2FnYXJh?=,

I also have the same problem - Word 2003 just randomly changes from English
(UK) to English (US) - and still does so after going through all the
recommendations listed at
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm

I only notice it when I try and do an AutoCorrect entry and it does not
work, or when spell checking it 'can't spell', the reason being that Word has
switched to English (US). Is there a way I can utterly and completely erase
English (US) from both XP and Word, perhaps using the registry? This is
really winding me up (has been going on for some time).

You can get different languages if you copy content from a source in that
language (from the Internet, for example, or an email). If you're absolutely
certain you have only the one language installed in Windows, and enabled in the
Office Language tools, then this would be the most likely source of
"contamination". As far as I know, there's no way to block language formatting
out of copying, except to first paste into Notepad (thus removing all
formatting), then copying that and pasting it into Word.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Opinicus

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote

"contamination". As far as I know, there's no way to block
language formatting
out of copying, except to first paste into Notepad (thus
removing all
formatting), then copying that and pasting it into Word.

Wouldn't control-V (paste) then choose "Keep text only" in
the little popup dialog do the same thing? I know from
experience that "Match destination formatting" doesn't strip
out the language formatting but "Keep text only" does.

Here's a little macro that does a "Keep text only" paste.
I've associated it with control-shift-V on my system. (Note:
I am not the author of this but it works.)

quote
Sub PasteUnformatted()

' PasteUnformatted Macro
' Control shift V pastes the clipboard without formatting
Selection.PasteSpecial Link:=False, DataType:=wdPasteText,
Placement:= _
wdInLine, DisplayAsIcon:=False
End Sub
/quote

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

Sagara

Thanks. I might try the macro at some future time - I've never created one
before - but for the time being I will just be wary and check after any paste
from the web or from another doc or source. Stripping stuff off using
Wrrdpad would be a hassle for me as most of my work has uses many Sanskrit
terms (in roman) for which I use a special font - stripped I would end up
with words like sa}s%ra, which would be samsara!

Thanks,

Robert

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?U2FnYXJh?=,

[...]

For versions that don't have Paste Options, using Paste Special as
Unformatted Text should work as well.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote