Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Fran Fran is offline

Default printing emailed word documents

I work at home doing typing, occasionally if I send a document with tables to
someone via email it misses parts of the table off, also I check that
something will fit on a page in print preview but then when he gets it it may
go over the page. Any suggestions - it's driving me nuts!

--
Fran
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

How are you sending it? As an attachment? Or as email content? If the
latter, then a lot would depend on how the recipients choose to view email.
For example, I receive many emails containing formatting, but I never see
that formatting, because I choose to view all incoming email as plain text.

On the other hand, if you're attaching a Word document, then the recipient
should see what you see... with a few caveats. The most important aviate,
with respect to printing, is that the recipient probably doesn't have the
same printer you have. What might work fine for you, given your default
printer, might not work or look the same on your correspondent's printer.
Laser versus inkjet printer differences make a big difference, since the
non-printable area on the former often is larger than that on the former.

When I send something to someone else, and maintaining the same printed
version is important, I'll send it as a pdf. If that's not possible for some
reason, you could at the very least lie to your computer and set up the same
printer your recipient uses. Even that, however, is not guarantee, as you
might be using a different operating system and/or a different version of
the printer driver.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Fran" wrote in message
I work at home doing typing, occasionally if I send a document with tables
someone via email it misses parts of the table off, also I check that
something will fit on a page in print preview but then when he gets it it
may
go over the page. Any suggestions - it's driving me nuts!

--
Fran

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Also note that with tables specifically there is an issue if one of the
users has a version earlier than Word 2003 (or maybe 2002). If a table is
wrapped, it can be broken across pages in Word 2003 (and maybe 2002) but not
in Word 2000 (and maybe 2002), so if a wrapped table exceeds one page, it
will be cut off at the bottom.

"Fran" wrote in message
I work at home doing typing, occasionally if I send a document with

tables
someone via email it misses parts of the table off, also I check that
something will fit on a page in print preview but then when he gets it

it
may
go over the page. Any suggestions - it's driving me nuts!

--
Fran

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Fran Fran is offline

Both your replies have been very helpful, I think I may have both problems, I
did wonder if it might be because they had a different printer to me. Also
the word version being different is highly likely - are there any cures for
either of these problems, I did read Herb's reply about 'lying' to my
computer, any more help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

--
Fran

"Fran" wrote in message
I work at home doing typing, occasionally if I send a document with

tables
someone via email it misses parts of the table off, also I check that
something will fit on a page in print preview but then when he gets it

it
may
go over the page. Any suggestions - it's driving me nuts!

--
Fran

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Unless they have a need to edit what you're sending, it's hard to argue with
the predictability and replicability of pdfs. There are a number of
cheap/free solutions, if you don't have Adobe Acrobat (or Office 2007, which
can create pdfs using a free download).

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Also note that with tables specifically there is an issue if one of the
users has a version earlier than Word 2003 (or maybe 2002). If a table is
wrapped, it can be broken across pages in Word 2003 (and maybe 2002) but
not
in Word 2000 (and maybe 2002), so if a wrapped table exceeds one page, it
will be cut off at the bottom.

so
all may benefit.

"Fran" wrote in message
I work at home doing typing, occasionally if I send a document with

tables
someone via email it misses parts of the table off, also I check that
something will fit on a page in print preview but then when he gets
it

it
may
go over the page. Any suggestions - it's driving me nuts!

--
Fran

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If you have a version that permits it, check whether you can set the
Compatibility Option to allow wrapped tables to break across pages. Or make
the table In Line With Text (no wrapping). See also
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...sDontPrint.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Also note that with tables specifically there is an issue if one of the
users has a version earlier than Word 2003 (or maybe 2002). If a table

is
wrapped, it can be broken across pages in Word 2003 (and maybe 2002) but

not
in Word 2000 (and maybe 2002), so if a wrapped table exceeds one page,

it
will be cut off at the bottom.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.