Theresa

Default Put 2 fonts in an outline heading?

Does anyone know how to put 2 different fonts in an
outline heading style in Word 2003?

I would like to have my section headers look like this:

SECTIONOne (with "SECTION" in Arial Narrow, regular weight
and "One" in Arial Narrow, Bolded)

I can only seem to apply one font to the entire section
heading using the Styles and Formatting toolbar option.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Klaus Linke

Or, if the "SECTION" part is always the same in all headings, you could apply it
as "outline numbering".
You'd delete the number and type "SECTION" in its place, and there is a button
for choosing the font, color, size... which can be different from the paragraph
style's font.

Greetings,
Klaus

"Theresa" wrote in message
Does anyone know how to put 2 different fonts in an
outline heading style in Word 2003?

I would like to have my section headers look like this:

SECTIONOne (with "SECTION" in Arial Narrow, regular weight
and "One" in Arial Narrow, Bolded)

I can only seem to apply one font to the entire section
heading using the Styles and Formatting toolbar option.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Theresa

That works well to get the wording, but what I'm really
looking for is a way to have 2 different fonts in the same
heading. Any suggestions there?

Thanks!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
You could apply a character style (or just direct font

formatting) to part
of the heading, but note that this direct formatting

will be picked up by
the TOC.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-

ups to the newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Theresa" wrote

in message
Does anyone know how to put 2 different fonts in an
outline heading style in Word 2003?

I would like to have my section headers look like

this:

SECTIONOne (with "SECTION" in Arial Narrow, regular

weight
and "One" in Arial Narrow, Bolded)

I can only seem to apply one font to the entire

section
heading using the Styles and Formatting toolbar

option.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

.

Klaus Linke

Brrzzzt... Crackle---

Theresa...

I fear we have a small communications problem here.

Both Suzanne and I assumed that with "section headers" you meant "chapter
headings".
Correct so far?

Then all three ways that were mentioned should work.

To apply character formatting to some text, you select it -- say "SECTION" in
your example--, and apply the formatting -- say with "Format Font", or one of
the buttons and dropdowns on the formatting toolbar, or by applying a character
style from the "styles and formatting" task pane.

You can discern character styles from other styles by the small ª to the right.
It's not too difficult to define one of your own.

With my method, the word "SECTION" would appear, properly formatted, each time
you apply the paragraph style, and when you type the rest ("One") it appears
automatically in the paragraph style's font.

Regards,
Klaus

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
[...]

Theresa

Sorry, maybe I'm not explaining myself very well. Yes,=20
you are correct, by "section headers", I was talking about=20
chapters...

I've modified the "Heading 1" built-in style to include=20
the chapter number by using the numbering format tab, and=20
I can add the word "Section" in front of it on the same=20
screen. Now, my text is the way I want it. So far, so=20
good.... (I want to use the Heading 1 style so that I can=20
number my chapters sequentially...but maybe that's my=20
problem?)

Where I run into trouble is that I want the word "Section"=20
to be a different font than the chapter number. I've=20
tried selecting some of the text and applying a character=20
style to re-format (which, if I understand correctly was=20
your suggestion), but once it is formatted with=20
the "Heading 1" style, it won't allow you to apply the=20
style to only part of the text. Nor will it allow me to=20
insert text in front of the number that was automatically=20
inserted by selecting the "Heading 1" style.

Maybe I'm just missing something very basic?? =20

Klaus Linke

Sorry, maybe I'm not explaining myself very well.

No, my fault...

I'm not 100% clear what the desired result is.
Do you want the Heading to read

SECTIONOne

with "SECTION" not bold, "One" bold?

Or will there be a number on the left, too? Or text that follows?

If it's the simple case:
I understand that you already added "SECTION" in the "Numbering (Outline tab)
Modify..." dialog.
So when you apply "Heading 1", that text appears automatically.

"Heading 1" is Arial, bold by default.

So you'd need to make the numbering, "SECTION", not bold, and you're set, right?

In the numbering dialog, underneath the box where you entered the text
"SECTION", there should be a button for the "Font...".
If you click on it, you can set the font of the numbering to "not bold".
Back in the numbering dialog, you can also delete the tab stop, and set the
indent to your liking.

I hope this works for you, and that I understood what you want to achieve.

Generally speaking, you could also use a style separator, to have two paragraph
styles on one line. You'd insert that with Alt+Ctrl+Enter. But it's not very
often used, and unless your needs are more complicated, it shouldn't be
necessary.

Regards,
Klaus

Yes, you are correct, by "section headers", I was
talking about chapters...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
[...]

Klaus Linke

Oh my, it was *definitely* my fault:
You want to add both "SECTION" and "One" as numbering, where the numbering is
set to "One", "Two", "Three", ..?

I'm afraid it'll be pretty difficult to have different fonts, then.

A quick experiment with the style separator didn't work. Maybe you could put the
text "SECTION" in a framed style, and arrange it so that it is positioned to the
left of the heading (which is numbered "One", "Two", ...).

But it'll be a piece of work to put that together. Maybe Suzanne can help you
with that? It's getting late here....

Regards,
Klaus

Klaus Linke

Maybe it'd be easier not to use outline numbering.

Just type "SECTION" in your Heading 1, format it as not bold.
Then insert a SEQ field (creating the field braces with Ctrl+F9):
{ seq H1 \*CardText \*Upper }
Format that bold, and you should be set.
You'd need to use Ctrl+A, F9 to update the numbers.
If you still see field codes, use Alt+F9.

If you have many headings, you can select the properly formatted
SECTION{ seq H1 \*CardText \*Upper }
and create an AutoText entry for it.

Good night!
Klaus

Theresa

Yes, that is what I needed! =20

I believe I can make it work with your ctrl-alt-enter=20
trick.

Thank you!