Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mlmoody mlmoody is offline

Default How do I add line numbers to endnote or footnoted materials?

I am in the process of submitting a paper to a technical journal and the
journal requires that I have line numbers on all of the parts of the
manuscript, including the references. I used endnote for the references and
because of the default settings, Word will not add line numbers to the
endnotes. I am at my wit's end. Please help
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The following macro will convert Endnotes to ordinary text to which you
should be able to apply line numbers. ONLY USE IT ON A COPY OF YOUR
DOCUMENT.

' Macro created 29/09/99 by Doug Robbins to replace endnotes with textnotes
at end of document

' to replace the endnote reference in the body of the document with a
superscript number.

'

Dim aendnote As Endnote

For Each aendnote In ActiveDocument.Endnotes

ActiveDocument.Range.InsertAfter vbCr & aendnote.Index & vbTab &
aendnote.Range

aendnote.Reference.InsertBefore "a" & aendnote.Index & "a"

Next aendnote

For Each aendnote In ActiveDocument.Endnotes

aendnote.Reference.Delete

Next aendnote

Selection.Find.ClearFormatting

Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting

With Selection.Find.Replacement.Font

.Superscript = True

End With

With Selection.Find

.Text = "(a)([0-9]{1,})(a)"

.Replacement.Text = "\2"

.Forward = True

.Wrap = wdFindContinue

.Format = True

.MatchWildcards = True

End With

Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"mlmoody" wrote in message
I am in the process of submitting a paper to a technical journal and the
journal requires that I have line numbers on all of the parts of the
manuscript, including the references. I used endnote for the references
and
because of the default settings, Word will not add line numbers to the
endnotes. I am at my wit's end. Please help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mlmoody mlmoody is offline

I guess I have one more question...How do I add your macro to my file. or
implement it if that is the best term. Thanks.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

No, the macro converts the references in the body of the document to
ordinary text and superscripts them.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

news

"mlmoody" wrote in message
I am in the process of submitting a paper to a technical journal and the
journal requires that I have line numbers on all of the parts of the
manuscript, including the references. I used endnote for the
references
and
because of the default settings, Word will not add line numbers to the
endnotes. I am at my wit's end. Please help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

No, the macro converts the references in the body of the document to
ordinary text and superscripts them.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"mlmoody" wrote in message
news
Thanks...One more question...Will I need to reinsert all of the