Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Simon Simon is offline

Default Can I access a Dictionary in Word 2002?

I run XP SP2 and IE7. I use Word 2002 in standalone form as my word
processor (it came with Works Suite 2005 but I don't use the Works task
launcher).

On my PC I have the Works Dictionary and the Encarta right-click defintion
which works fine for looking up the meaning of words on web pages but not in
Word.

As Word 2002 doesn't have a Dictionary is there any way I can link directly
from a word document, eg. by right-click, to check words by using either the
Works Dictionary or Encarta, please.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Poprivet Poprivet is offline

Simon wrote:
I run XP SP2 and IE7. I use Word 2002 in standalone form as my word
processor (it came with Works Suite 2005 but I don't use the Works
task launcher).

On my PC I have the Works Dictionary and the Encarta right-click
defintion which works fine for looking up the meaning of words on web
pages but not in Word.

As Word 2002 doesn't have a Dictionary is there any way I can link
directly from a word document, eg. by right-click, to check words by
using either the Works Dictionary or Encarta, please.

If what you have is actually Word and not something else, it should have its
own dictionary.
Assuming it's really word, look in Tools; Options and set it to use one
of the other dictionaries and see what happens. They may or may not work.

I suspect you don't actually have Word; what version does it say it is under
Help; About?

Pop`

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Simon Simon is offline

Sorry, can't find references to Dictionaries there.

Version = Microsoft Word 2002 (10.6829.6830) SP3

"Poprivet" wrote:

Simon wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

I think you're being deceived by two different definitions of the word
"dictionary" as they pertain to features in Word

First, there is the "dictionary" (or dictionaries) that are used for
spell-check & *don't* include any definitions or other info you'd expect to
find even if you could look up something in them.

Second, there is the dictionary used as a Reference Tool, which is what you
are looking for. I'm not certain, however, whether the Reference Tools were
included in 2002. Go to ToolsResearch (or Alt+click) to launch the Research
Task Pane. (If the Task Pane is already displayed you could also open its
title bar menu & choose Research there.) If the Task Pane is available the
Encarta Dictionary should be also.

I'm not familiar with the installation aspects of Word 2002 as it shipped
with the Works Suite, but assuming the necessary resources are there the
Encarta Dictionary _should_ be available from the dropdown list on the
Reference Task Pane which is labeled All Reference Books. I'm going by 2003
Office Suite, however, so I can't be sure about 2003 Works. I believe it
should be the same. OTOH, you should also be able to rt-click a word &
choose Lookup if that were the case.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 6/23/07 1:19 PM, in article
, "Simon"

"Poprivet" wrote:

Simon wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Simon Simon is offline

Thanks for this - yes, it is the reference tool that I am seeking.
Unfortunately Word 2002 doesn't appear to have a Research Task Pane under
Tools. There is an entry under Tools Customize called Dictionary, but it
has no icon by it - you can highlight it but there is no way of getting it to
appear on the standard toolbar or dropdown menu under Tools.