Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
phosphaenus phosphaenus is offline

Default Toolbar customization query, Word 2007

I want to put the command "Hide spelling errors" on the Quick Access
Toolbar in Word 2007. I can do so, but it leaves the entire text of
the command ("Hide spelling errors") in the toolbar, so taking up
kilometers of space. Is there any way of just displaying an icon?

Why on earth have MS done away with the customizability of previous
versions? Roll on Mozilla Wordfox

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You could create a macro that runs the corresponding command/toggle, then
put that macro onto the QAT. Someone better at VBA than I am would need to
tell you how/if you could replicate the checkbox behavior you get with the
default Hide spelling errors tool.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"phosphaenus" wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to put the command "Hide spelling errors" on the Quick Access
Toolbar in Word 2007. I can do so, but it leaves the entire text of
the command ("Hide spelling errors") in the toolbar, so taking up
kilometers of space. Is there any way of just displaying an icon?

Why on earth have MS done away with the customizability of previous
versions? Roll on Mozilla Wordfox

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
phosphaenus phosphaenus is offline

Many thanks Herb, that worked, and I see that Word 2007 at least
offers a large number of icons for macros (though not the option of
making your own).

If anyone's interested, I found the appropriate macro at the following
website...
http://www.joyedaniels.com/vba_word.htm

.... with some minor modifications (I'm not interested in "grammar
errors") the macro is as follows...

Sub Macro_HideShowSpellErrors()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
If ActiveDocument.ShowSpellingErrors = True Then
ActiveDocument.ShowSpellingErrors = False
Else
If ActiveDocument.ShowSpellingErrors = True Then
ActiveDocument.ShowSpellingErrors = False
Else
ActiveDocument.ShowSpellingErrors = True
End If
End If
Application.ScreenRefresh
End Sub

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you still have access to Word 200(0-3), you can create a template in that
application, with a custom toolbar containing all your macro buttons with
their icons. If you use that template as an add-in to Word 2007 the toolbar
buttons and their icons are available on the add-ins tab.

With the aid of a minor registry hack you can even run both Word versions at
the same time.

phosphaenus wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'd hate to try to support Word 2003 without having it available. Thanks to
the "minor registry hack," it's a lot easier to run multiple versions of
Word than it used to be. For more on the hack, see:

http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com/2...03-coexisting/

--

phosphaenus wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

Customization isn't gone, it was just moved from the UI to XML. If you
feel up for playing with it, you can start at
http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribbonx.
If you don't want to play with XML, take a look at my RibbonCustomizer
add-in.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net