Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kt32707 kt32707 is offline

Default Inserting file loses style formatting

I have documents that were created using the same document template that is
in the workgroup templates folder. When I insert one document into the other,
the style applied to some of the text is lost, most of the time bt not
everytime, and it reverts back to normal text. Some of the styles stay
intact. All of the styles have the same names and are the same as they can
from the same template. For example, the text formatted with CompLbl keeps
its formatting and style, while CompTxt is lost. Copy and paste loses the
styles also.

CompLbl is being used as a label to the left of an indented paragraph.
CompTxt is formating for the indented paragraph (indented to 1.5").

How do I keep from loosing the styles when I insert them into another
document. We basically have a document library were we reuse the text.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi kt

kt32707 wrote:
I have documents that were created using the same document template that is
in the workgroup templates folder. When I insert one document into the other,
the style applied to some of the text is lost, most of the time bt not
everytime, and it reverts back to normal text. Some of the styles stay
intact. All of the styles have the same names and are the same as they can
from the same template. For example, the text formatted with CompLbl keeps
its formatting and style, while CompTxt is lost. Copy and paste loses the
styles also.

CompLbl is being used as a label to the left of an indented paragraph.
CompTxt is formating for the indented paragraph (indented to 1.5").

Unusual. Are you inserting by copy/paste, or Insert | File? Are both
styles paragraph styles? Can you try the options under Paste Special to
see if you get a better result?

One would not expect troubles when pasting stuff from/to documents based
on the same template.

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kt32707 kt32707 is offline

Well, yes one would not expect troubles using the same template and that is a
big reason for using the workgroup template.

At times, we actually do both, copy and paste and insert file. Either way
the styles get lost. There is more than one style in the data getting
inserted. We will have a full section of a document that contains several
styles and even a graphic sometimes.

Note sure what you mean by are both styles paragraph? Are you asking about
Source and destination or the different styles in the section being copied...
One section that we frequently copy is mostly character styles but has a
title that is paragraph style. The other large sections we copy a lot is all
paragraph styles. I even have issues with reused text saved as autotext not
retaining its formatting. We reuse a lot of text.

I have tried all the paste special options. Still no good. When I do a paste
and get the paste options dialog, match destination changes it to normal when
the source style was something like complbl or comptxt. If I select match
source, to formats it correctly (normal+10pt: Times\10), but it does not have
the style name applied comptxt.

--
KT

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi kt

kt32707 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kt32707 kt32707 is offline

Anyone have any ideas on this. This is causing a lot of rework because we
have to reformat all of or section headings. We are attempting migrate to
Word from WordPerfect. The powers that be will not accept this extra work and
they will say go back to WordPerfect! This rework will be a lot more than the
time saved by other nice features of word.
--
KT

"kt32707" wrote:

[...]

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi kt

kt32707 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kt32707 kt32707 is offline

I figured it out!!!

The problem was a result of one document having the problem header style,
Subsection, created has a paragraph style and the other document had the
style, Subsection, created as a character style.

When I created the style as a paragraph style in the destination document to
match the source destination, the format corrected itself.

--
KT

"kt32707" wrote:

[...]

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi kt

kt32707 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kt32707 kt32707 is offline

So, it had the same style name in both documents, but the style was created
as a paragraph style in one document and a character style in the other
document. So, it looks at more than just the name to match the style, it is
more of a combination between name and style type.
--
KT

"kt32707" wrote:

[...]

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote: