Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Word victim Word victim is offline

Default MS Word Index and tables

I have compiled a list of figures and a separate list of tables on the same
page but when I try to update each one individually then both tables are
overwritten with the one I am updating. I've tried separating them with a
section break (continuous) but that did not help.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

One thing I have found about TOC fields (and a TOF is a TOC field) is that
it is all too easy to get following text (especially paragraph marks) inside
the field code. It can be very awkward to have two TOC fields
"back-to-back," even if separated by a heading. When you create a TOC field,
make sure you have at least a couple of empty paragraphs after the insertion
point, and keep an eye on what happens to these paragraphs (looking at the
paragraph marks with nonprinting characters displayed) when you toggle the
view from field code to field results (using Alt+F9); you'll often find that
one has gotten swallowed up into the field. I have found this incredibly
frustrating at times, hence the word of warning: I suspect your second TOC
field may somehow have gotten absorbed into the first.

Also, note that if you create a new TOC (as opposed to just clicking in one
and updating with F9), you will usually be asked if you want it to replace
the existing one (even if the existing one is half a document away). Just
say no.