Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Zalkin Zalkin is offline

Default Help on a symbol

Hi, I just heard someone mentioned a symbol named "beetle" or "beatle" (or
some other kind of spelling of that sound).
Does anyone know if there is a symbol called that and if so, how it looks
like? My native language isn't english so I haven't heard this symbol before.

Thanks in advance
Niklas
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

My native language is English and I don't know what it might be.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Zalkin" wrote in message
Hi, I just heard someone mentioned a symbol named "beetle" or "beatle" (or
some other kind of spelling of that sound).
Does anyone know if there is a symbol called that and if so, how it looks
like? My native language isn't english so I haven't heard this symbol
before.

Thanks in advance
Niklas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Doesn't ring a bell here, either, though "beadle" and "betel" would be other
possibilities. A Google search for "beetle symbol" brings up some strange
hits. The VW Beetle emblem is a possibility. But there's also a video game
that uses "beetle symbols." The scarab (symbolic dung beetle) is a symbol of
immortality.

"Zalkin" wrote in message
Hi, I just heard someone mentioned a symbol named "beetle" or "beatle"

(or
some other kind of spelling of that sound).
Does anyone know if there is a symbol called that and if so, how it

looks
like? My native language isn't english so I haven't heard this symbol
before.

Thanks in advance
Niklas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

I figured if anyone here might know this answer, it would be you. :-)

(BTW - I thought of you last week. I walked over the the cafeteria to get a
Diet Coke (of course) and there was a sign at the serving line with that
day's speacials. They were having casadias. I was thinking "What the heck is
that?? Cass-a-sod'-ee-ah?" Turns out the "chef" meant quesadillas.
Apparently he heard about the spelling from most of the diners that day. I
kept my mouth shut but laughed the whole way back over to my office.)

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Doesn't ring a bell here, either, though "beadle" and "betel" would be
other
possibilities. A Google search for "beetle symbol" brings up some strange
hits. The VW Beetle emblem is a possibility. But there's also a video game
that uses "beetle symbols." The scarab (symbolic dung beetle) is a symbol
of
immortality.

so
all may benefit.

"Zalkin" wrote in message
Hi, I just heard someone mentioned a symbol named "beetle" or "beatle"

(or
some other kind of spelling of that sound).
Does anyone know if there is a symbol called that and if so, how it

looks
like? My native language isn't english so I haven't heard this symbol
before.

Thanks in advance
Niklas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I suspect British phonetics are at work here, the symbol being the Greek
letter beta (American pronunciation "bayta", British pronunciation "beeta").
The symbol is ß (Unicode character 03B2, or the letter b formatted in Symbol
font).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman