Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Luke Luke is offline

Default Can't open file?? Possibly corrupt?

I'm trying to recover a file for my relative for school. The file is on a
flash drive and is word 2003. The file says it has a size of 41k. I copy it
to my local hard drive and try to open it and it comes up with a bunch of
"mumbo jumbo" and odd characters. Does anyone know of any ideas or
tools/diagnostics I can download to help her save this? Thanks in advance.
Sincerley,
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chocoholic Chocoholic is offline

What is the extension on the file (example: .doc, .rtf)? Are you sure you
are opening the file in a program that is meant to open that file. For
instance, was the file written in Word (.doc or .docx) and you have
WordPerfect. Also, if the extension is .docx then you have to either have
Word 2007 or download the file format converter from Microsoft's website to
open the file in a lesser version of Word.