Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jon D Jon D is offline

Default tagging and sorting data in word

I am trying to find out if there is a way to tag or identify data in a word
document that then can be extracted, sorted, manupilated, etc. I receive
documents that I would like to alter to a different layout.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jon D Jon D is offline

I will try to be more explicit. The document would contain information in a
sentence describing a request for material to be placed in a location at a
certain time and date. I would like to "tag" or "identify" the reqests, or
the location and or the time seperately and then re-sort the information by
either of these criteria. The version of Word I am using is 2003.

"CyberTaz" typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet wrote in message
Sorry Jon, but you don't provide anywhere near enough information about
what the docs you "receive" are like, what type of "different layout",
what you're actually trying to accomplish... you don't even indicate what
version of Word you're using.

Give people a reasonable amount of information to work with & I expect
you'll get some reasonable suggestions in return
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"Jon D" wrote in message
I am trying to find out if there is a way to tag or identify data in a
word document that then can be extracted, sorted, manupilated, etc. I
receive documents that I would like to alter to a different layout.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

I'm still not clear on exactly what you're trying to acomplish, but it
sounds more like a data management issue than a Word processing task. If I
get your drift at all, I sincerely believe you'd be better off to do without
the "sentence" concept and - if you need to do this in Word for some
reason - set it up as a Table with a column for each data item (or in
Excel). You can then sort the table any time based on either "field".
Further, the data could later be merged into other documents. IOW, it
sounds - no offense - like you might be going about it from the wrong
direction. It's far easier & more efficient to pull data *into* a Word doc
than it is to pull data *out* or reorganize it based on text strings:-)

As Graham posted, something more explicit would be quite helpful.
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones