BK

Default keep with next; keep lines together

Using Windows XP Pro and Office 2000

I understand what the paragraph format choices are (keep with next and keep
lines together) I just cannot think of a time when those would be important
boxes to check.

Lorrie White

They are important when you don't want one line of a paragraph appearing on
the bottom of a page, or you don't want a single line of a paragraph at the
top of the next page.

"BK" wrote in message
Using Windows XP Pro and Office 2000

I understand what the paragraph format choices are (keep with next and

keep
lines together) I just cannot think of a time when those would be

important
boxes to check.

"Keep with next" is enabled by default for heading styles; you don't want a
heading at the bottom of the page and the following text starting on the
be useful in tables (and elsewhere) to control page breaks (you want to
avoid manual page breaks wherever possible).

"Keep lines together" is not necessary for paragraphs of 1-3 lines provided
you have "Widow/orphan control" enabled (as it is by default for all styles)
but can be useful for longer paragraphs in some instances. For example, one
of the types of documents I prepare is a Q&A for lawyers. One of my clients
is a consultant who provides litigation support; he prepares questions for
lawyers to ask in depositions and at trial, along with the expected answers.
These are formatted in 14-pt TNR to be easily read in court. The questions
are formatted as both "Keep with next" and "Keep lines together," because
you don't want the lawyer to have to turn the page when he's asking a
question (you don't want to make it too obvious that he's reading from a
prepared text!). KLT can also be used in conjunction with KWN to control
page breaks.

"BK" wrote in message
Using Windows XP Pro and Office 2000

I understand what the paragraph format choices are (keep with next and

keep
lines together) I just cannot think of a time when those would be

important
boxes to check.

BK

Suzanne

Thanks for the clear explanation and examples of times when these two
paragraph formatting options might prove helpful. I guess I've never been
afraid of "insert - page break" and am wondering if I should be more
apprehensive about using those after reading your notes.

Thanks ----------- BK

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
"Keep with next" is enabled by default for heading styles; you don't want
heading at the bottom of the page and the following text starting on the
can
[...]

so
all may benefit.

"BK" wrote in message
Using Windows XP Pro and Office 2000

I understand what the paragraph format choices are (keep with next and

keep
lines together) I just cannot think of a time when those would be

important
boxes to check.

Debutante

Suzanne,

I didn't know you worked in a law firm..me too..no wonder why I find all of
your responses so helpful

"BK" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"BK" wrote in message
Using Windows XP Pro and Office 2000

I understand what the paragraph format choices are (keep with next and

keep
lines together) I just cannot think of a time when those would be

important
boxes to check.

TF

The real problem with inserting manual page breaks is that if you edit the
document and add or remove text before the page break (even if it is 20 or
100 pages before the page Break) the Page Break moves. So you can easily end
up with a virtually empty page because the page break has moved to the top
of the next page.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"BK" wrote in message
: Suzanne
:
: Thanks for the clear explanation and examples of times when these two
: paragraph formatting options might prove helpful. I guess I've never been
: afraid of "insert - page break" and am wondering if I should be more
: apprehensive about using those after reading your notes.
:
: Thanks ----------- BK
:
:
: "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: ...
: "Keep with next" is enabled by default for heading styles; you don't
want
: a
: heading at the bottom of the page and the following text starting on the
: can
[...]
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
newsgroup
: so
: all may benefit.
:
: "BK" wrote in message
: ...
: Using Windows XP Pro and Office 2000
:
: I understand what the paragraph format choices are (keep with next and
: keep
: lines together) I just cannot think of a time when those would be
: important
: boxes to check.
:
:
:
:
:

BK

You are correct. I know that the "final" copy of any document, no matter
how meticulously created, still needs a thorough going over with the human
eye before it gets the stamp of approval.

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
The real problem with inserting manual page breaks is that if you edit the
document and add or remove text before the page break (even if it is 20 or
100 pages before the page Break) the Page Break moves. So you can easily
end
up with a virtually empty page because the page break has moved to the top
of the next page.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"BK" wrote in message
: Suzanne
:
: Thanks for the clear explanation and examples of times when these two
: paragraph formatting options might prove helpful. I guess I've never
been
: afraid of "insert - page break" and am wondering if I should be more
: apprehensive about using those after reading your notes.
:
: Thanks ----------- BK
:
:
: "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: ...
: "Keep with next" is enabled by default for heading styles; you don't
want
: a
: heading at the bottom of the page and the following text starting on
It
: can
[...]
: "BK" wrote in message
: ...
: Using Windows XP Pro and Office 2000
:
: I understand what the paragraph format choices are (keep with next
and
: keep
: lines together) I just cannot think of a time when those would be
: important
: boxes to check.
:
:
:
:
:

I don't work in a law firm or anywhere near one. I actually work in my own
home, as an independent editor/proofreader/word processor/typesetter. But
one of my clients is a real estate/finance consultant who provides
litigation support to lawyers. But I'm glad you find my responses helpful!

"BK" wrote in message
Using Windows XP Pro and Office 2000

I understand what the paragraph format choices are (keep with next

and
keep
lines together) I just cannot think of a time when those would be
important
boxes to check.

Margaret Aldis

"BK" wrote in message
You are correct. I know that the "final" copy of any document, no matter
how meticulously created, still needs a thorough going over with the human
eye before it gets the stamp of approval.

Ah! If only everyone knew that!!!

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP