Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
walintz walintz is offline

Default Getting rid of divisions caused by Sections

I have opened an RTF document and saved it as a Word document. In the
document there are indented quotes followed by normal text. Every time there
is an indented quote there is a page break so that a 24 page document has
become at 35 page document (ie. there is a quote then a whole bunch of empty
space, then on the next page, the resumed normal text). How do I get the text
and the quotes on the same page? By using the delete returns it screws up the
document even more! (I am new to Word and I understand that the indenting of
the text has created different sections but I want to keep the indented
quotes but dont want it as sections, as these 'sections' seem to have created
the problem.)

This is a simple document but these 'sections' seem to make things more
complex than they need to be. I don't want to have to reformat all the quotes
to solve this problem...just something simple to get the quotes and the
normal text on the same page. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
walintz walintz is offline

Just to add. The section breaks seem to be caused by a change in margins for
quotes, nothing else. This seems to be a bug in Word as change in margins or
double indents should not be considered formatting changes. Oh well.

Anyhow, I found a suggestion to eliminate section breaks all at once in the
database. find ^b and replace with nothing. This seems to work EXCEPT I lost
not only the section breaks but also every quote now is back at the margins
of regular text which is definitely not what I wanted (Ijust wanted to
eliminate the section breaks !) So how do I eliminate section breaks and
retain the indented quote margins? There are a lot of quotes in this document
so I would like to find some simple way to do this. Thanks.

"walintz" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Most likely the document was imported from another application, such as Word
Perfect, that actually does change margins instead of paragraph indents.
Delete the section breaks and apply the appropriate styles (such as Block
Text for the quotes).

"walintz" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
walintz walintz is offline

Once I eliminae section breaks I have all these formerly indented quotes that
are now just marginslike regular text. Is there not a way to ,before I
eliminate section breaks(why does eliminate section breaks affect margins?)
whereby I can preserve the indentext text sections with their margins? thanks.

"walintz" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In Word, margins are part of the section properties. Indentation is a
paragraph property. In other words, if you change the indents (by dragging
the indent markers on the ruler or using the Paragraph dialog box) before
removing the section breaks, you will preserve the look of the document.

For more on sections, see this article:

Working with sections
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...thSections.htm

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Most likely the document was imported from another application, such as
Word
Perfect, that actually does change margins instead of paragraph indents.
Delete the section breaks and apply the appropriate styles (such as Block
Text for the quotes).

so
all may benefit.

"walintz" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As I suggested previously, apply the Block Text style to these quotations

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Most likely the document was imported from another application, such as

Word
Perfect, that actually does change margins instead of paragraph indents.
Delete the section breaks and apply the appropriate styles (such as

Block
Text for the quotes).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.