rob

Default Numbering

I've read a lot of the MVP's pages on numbering but found
only Shauna Kelly's advice on "How to control bullets"
and "How to create numbered Headings" of any PRACTICAL use.
I did not find any definite answer on the best way to
create simple numbered paragraphs. John McGie's article
on "Word's numbering explained" suggests style based
numbering is the most recommended but it also has problems
including restarting the numbering. At this point all I
know there are an incredible amount of problems but am
confused as what to do. I also found an article by J.W.
Olsen http://www.jwolsen.com/wtip051.htm which suggest
that Format Painter can solve a lot of headaches. Is that
true? Is there anyplace giving step by step instructions
(Sauna Kelly's fashion) on creating simple numbered styles
which solve or at least minimize numbering problems? Are
the Word 2002 five inbuilt number styles recommended? Why
are they paragraph styles rather than list styles?
Thank you.

Word's List Number styles long predate List styles. List styles are not very
well documented because the few brave souls who have tried them have found
them not very satisfactory. There are two practical approaches to simple
lists:

1. Use a List Number style and use manual restarts. In Word 2002 and 2003,
using Restart Numbering on the context menu is very dependable. I have found
that this gives me practically zero problems. When you restart numbering,
Word effectively starts a new list. Even if you move or paste list members
from one list to another (which I rarely do), you can, using the Paste
Options, make Word understand that you want the moved/pasted text to become
part of the list in which it now resides.

2. Use one of the restart methods explained by Margaret Aldis at
http://www.syntagma.demon.co.uk/FAQs...artMethods.htm. This may be
preferable if you are using Word 2000 or earlier.