Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sharon R. Sharon R. is offline

Default CTRL+ALT+hyphen (getting rid of ...)

Hi all,

I am using the Work menu and use the above key combination to remove
documents from the Work list. Today I changed my mind about removing a
document but could not get rid of the horizontal bar cursor. How can I do
that? I've discovered it doesn't stop me working but I see a danger if I
should happen to click on an item elsewhere in the menus and remove something
I didn't intend to!

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

You only need to press the Escape key.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Sharon R." wrote:

Hi all,

I am using the Work menu and use the above key combination to remove
documents from the Work list. Today I changed my mind about removing a
document but could not get rid of the horizontal bar cursor. How can I do
that? I've discovered it doesn't stop me working but I see a danger if I
should happen to click on an item elsewhere in the menus and remove something
I didn't intend to!

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Have you tried pressing ESC to turn off the "delete mode"?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Sharon R." wrote in message
Hi all,

I am using the Work menu and use the above key combination to remove
documents from the Work list. Today I changed my mind about removing a
document but could not get rid of the horizontal bar cursor. How can I do
that? I've discovered it doesn't stop me working but I see a danger if I
should happen to click on an item elsewhere in the menus and remove
something
I didn't intend to!

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sharon R. Sharon R. is offline

See reply to Lene (above). ESC just won't do it for me. Odd?

SR.

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote:

Press the Escape key?

Sharon R. wrote:
Hi all,

I am using the Work menu and use the above key combination to remove
documents from the Work list. Today I changed my mind about removing a
document but could not get rid of the horizontal bar cursor. How can I do
that? I've discovered it doesn't stop me working but I see a danger if I
should happen to click on an item elsewhere in the menus and remove something
I didn't intend to!

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Very odd. Are you using a standard US keyboard layout, or something else?

Since Esc isn't working, your options for turning it off are limited. But,
this seems to work:

Press Ctrl+Alt+[plus sign on number pad]. Then press any action key, such as
F9, and press Escape to dismiss the Customize Keyboard dialog.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Sharon R." wrote in message
Hi all,

I am using the Work menu and use the above key combination to remove
documents from the Work list. Today I changed my mind about removing a
document but could not get rid of the horizontal bar cursor. How can I
do
that? I've discovered it doesn't stop me working but I see a danger if
should happen to click on an item elsewhere in the menus and remove
something
I didn't intend to!

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sharon R. Sharon R. is offline

Hi Herb,

It's a Swiss French keyboard. To add insult to injury it's a laptop so I
don't have the luxury of a number pad. Other than this incident I haven't had
any other problems. I thought exiting Word and back again would do the trick
but it's a stubborn one!

Anyhow, your very innovative solution below is most welcome (I should be
able to use the Fn key combination to get the "number pad" going. I'll get
the keyboard checked out by our tech team.

Thanks again!

SR.

"Sharon R." wrote in message
Hi all,

I am using the Work menu and use the above key combination to remove
documents from the Work list. Today I changed my mind about removing a
document but could not get rid of the horizontal bar cursor. How can I
do
that? I've discovered it doesn't stop me working but I see a danger if
should happen to click on an item elsewhere in the menus and remove
something
I didn't intend to!

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi, Sharon,

When I offered that solution, I was thinking "I'll just bet she's using a
laptop" grin.

I can't abide laptop keyboards... When I decided on a laptop carrying case,
I made sure it would hold my full-sized ergonomic keyboard. It goes with me
whenever I travel, as does a wireless mouse.

Which is to say... if there's a USB keyboard lying around somewhere, you
might keep it handy for when you need something that's hard to discover on
your laptop keyboard.

Cheers,