Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Random Random is offline

Default using bullet changes style from Normal to TOC 1

I have absolutely no idea why this is happening. I can be on a line defined
with the Normal style. I turn it into a bulleted line and the style
immediately changes to TOC 1. I try to set the style back to Normal, but
when I do, the bullet goes away. Now, this has just started happening in my
document. I have already written dozens of pages where I didn't have this
problem. Why has it come up now?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No idea about the why (unless your TOC entries are bulleted) but the how
probably involves having failed to disable the "Define styles based on your
formatting" option on the AutoFormat As You Type tab of Tools | AutoCorrect
Options.

"Random" wrote in message
I have absolutely no idea why this is happening. I can be on a line

defined
with the Normal style. I turn it into a bulleted line and the style
immediately changes to TOC 1. I try to set the style back to Normal, but
when I do, the bullet goes away. Now, this has just started happening in

my
document. I have already written dozens of pages where I didn't have this
problem. Why has it come up now?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On the face of it, it might sound like a good idea, but what it really
amounts to is "Apply styles that Word thinks resemble the formatting you
have applied," and it's a huge mess.

"Random" wrote in message
Thanks, Suzanne. I wasn't even aware there was an option for that.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
No idea about the why (unless your TOC entries are bulleted) but the how
probably involves having failed to disable the "Define styles based on
your
formatting" option on the AutoFormat As You Type tab of Tools |
AutoCorrect
Options.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

Bullet style Kevin Microsoft Word Help 1 February 8th 07 05:51 PM
Problem creating a new bullet style Bryan Microsoft Word Help 2 January 29th 07 07:29 PM
is it possible to set a specific bullet in Normal.doc ? ACM Microsoft Word Help 6 March 15th 06 11:02 PM
Create default Bullet Style Marty New Users 3 May 18th 05 11:54 AM
Bullet style problem Rob Formatting Long Documents 8 March 1st 05 11:56 AM