Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] robrfoster@gmail.com is offline

Default word 2007 protect documents

For some reason, my version of Word 2007 has a different protect
document button. It doesn't have the drop down box when I click on it.
Instead it opens up the task pane as soon as I click on it. Anyone
know why some have the drop down and others don't?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

The difference is if the Office 2007 suite also has Information Rights
Management. Those that do have two options when they click Protect Document
since it also includes options for IRM.

Those suites that also have IRM are Office Ultimate 2007, Office
Professional Pro Plus 2007, and Office Enterprise 2007. However, in order to
use IRM you also need Microsoft Windows Rights Management Services (RMS) for
Windows Server so most users won't actually need or miss the additional
functionality. Note documents protected with IRM can be read in all suites.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

wrote in message
ps.com...
For some reason, my version of Word 2007 has a different protect
document button. It doesn't have the drop down box when I click on it.
Instead it opens up the task pane as soon as I click on it. Anyone
know why some have the drop down and others don't?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] robrfoster@gmail.com is offline

Ok, thanks