wbandrews

Default One word filename search in "open" window

With Word in Office 2000 I could type in a word in the "open" file window,
hit "delete", hit "enter" and all files in that folder with that word would
appear. Word in Office XP Version 2002 won't let me search in this quick,
simple way. Can I change anything to obtain this functionality in Word for
Office XP Version 2002? Many thanks for your help!

Sorry for the delay in this post; it was inadvertently sent as an email:

Okay, it was not your question but one from Jane, in Clevedon, UK. Jay
Freedman answered her very similar question ("File Open Option" posted about
12 hours and 25 minutes before yours) as follows:

There was a change in that behavior (why? I don't know). To use part of a
file name, type an asterisk before and after the part. For example, to see
only documents whose names contain "word", enter *word* and press Enter or
Tab.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See reply to your previous duplicate question. It is not necessary to

post a
question more than once.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"wbandrews" wrote in message
With Word in Office 2000 I could type in a word in the "open" file

window,
hit "delete", hit "enter" and all files in that folder with that word

would
appear. Word in Office XP Version 2002 won't let me search in this

quick,
simple way. Can I change anything to obtain this functionality in

Word
for
Office XP Version 2002? Many thanks for your help!

FWIW, I don't consider this workaround much of a help. But I never used the
feature before, either, so I don't miss it now. I try to keep my folders
small enough (and my File | Open and Save dialogs large enough) to be able
to see all the files in a folder without scrolling. Of course, this means
that I have many levels of subfolders, and that's probably inefficient, too.