Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fiance Fiance is offline

Default Troubleshooting footnotes

Hello,

I have browsed the archives but failed to find a solution to the
following:

1) a footnote is present in a document;
2) it can be seen normally at the bottom of the page in Print Layout
3) however, instead of the reference mark in the body text, I see only
a small hyphen; hovering over the hyphen shows the footnote text

How do I make the reference mark fully visible, i.e. displaying the
relevant number of the reference.

In other documents, reference marks are visible, i.e. the problem is
document-specific.

Thanks for any ideas.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It sounds as if a custom mark was used for that footnote. If this is Word
2003 (or earlier), choose Insert - Reference - Footnote..., and set the
Number format for Footnotes to 1, 2, 3, ...

In Word 2007, the same dialog can be found: in the Reference ribbon tab,
click the Footnotes launcher (lower right corner of the Footnotes section of
the ribbon... dialog launchers have an arrow pointing southeast).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

ups.com...