Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jimmy Clay Jimmy Clay is offline

Default Importing graphics vs copy / paste

I have a question about the difference between importing a graphic
into Word and copying a graphic and then pasting it into Word.

I've been experimenting. I made a screen clip, copied it into
IrfanView and saved it as a graphic, then I change that same screen
clip to a higher dpi of 300 and made sure it had the same width and
hight as the original and saved it.

Then I imported the first screen clip into a blank document and saved
it. That document was 43 KB in size.

Then I imported the second screen clip into a blank document and saved
it. That document was 510 KB in size. So far so good.

Then I copied the screen clip from IrfanView, this is after I changed
it to a DPI of 300 and pasted it into a blank Word document. This
document was 277 KB in size. This seems odd because I thought it would
have been 510 KB, the same as the second document.

So does the graphic loose something when it is copied and pasted? Or
perhaps it's a more efficient process.